Newbie from Stockton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie from Stockton

Hi to all, my name is Geoff i am new to the GRA and this site, have recently bought a Silverstone RCS 1965, requires a bit of fettling as not run for approx 6 years, joined the site to tap in to the wealth of knowledge that is no doubt available from you more experienced Greeves owners, hope to meet a few along the way.

Hello Geoff and welcome. As a fellow RCS owner any help I can give please ask. Do you intend to show or race/parade it? Some good classic race bike parading to be had, both in this country and abroad. Colin

The safest and most inclusive global community of photography enthusiasts. The best place for inspiration, connection, and sharing!
    Last edited by Dogsbody; 13/03/2016, 02:49 PM. Reason: add pic

Comment

Thanks

Hi Colin, thanks for your welcome, i am afraid racing is over for me at 64 yrs old, bottle gone now, show/parade will be my thing now, once i have sorted the bike that is, will need some help with that, my knowledge is zero on a Silverstone at this point + don`t have any workshop facilities, the bike is stored with my other bikes in a container approx 3 mls away at present, no lighting or electricity so very limited as to what i can do.

Comment

Welcome Geoff,

Comment

Originally posted by geoffb63 View Post
          Hi to all, my name is Geoff i am new to the GRA and this site, have recently bought a Silverstone RCS 1965, requires a bit of fettling as not run for approx 6 years, joined the site to tap in to the wealth of knowledge that is no doubt available from you more experienced Greeves owners, hope to meet a few along the way.
          Welcome to the forum, Geoff. Nice little bike the Silverstone, you'll enjoy it.

Plenty of useful (and not so useful ) knowledge and advice on here.

Plus if you join the GRA you can access the rest of the forum and post pictures. Application form can be downloaded from the website.

If you tell us the frame number, a previous owner might be on here. For example, I raced an RCS for a while myself.

Also, have a look at the "Racers" database on the main website and see if it is recorded on there.
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Thanks again.

I have already joined the GRA be it last week, the bike is already on the database, RCS 112, listed owner in Isle Of Wight, i purchased the bike from a guy in Lincolnshire, only had it couple of weeks myself, history before this not really known although there is a suggestion of a link to Chas Mortimer Racing School, not confirmed though.

Comment

Geoff, I've upgraded your forum access to 'GRA Member' so you should see a bit more now.

Welcome to the forum amd also the GRA and I hope you find membership useful.

I too have a RCS and I raced it back in the day, a better handling bike in the wet, I have yet to find. However, if you wear the front tyre down by the end of the season and don't notice it's raining, you do fall off! I did just that when a sudden downpour occurred and I was too busy trying to hang on to 3rd to notice. My wife was watching at Paddock Bend (Brands) and I went into the bales right at her feet. Her words - "Fancy riding like that in the wet, I could see you were going to fall off!" I would have agreed had I known, happy(?) days! She was well trained by then, when I first introduced her to crashing and dumped my 750 Norton, she dropped my stopwatch in horror and broke that too!

Anyway, there is plenty of info on the Silverstone about and a lot of drawings in the archive if you have to make anything. If you have any particular questions, drop me a line via email, address in leading Link.

Good luck with the bike!

Comment

Hi Geoff,
                Great yet another member in the Club, i am sure you will find a lot of help with any probs you may have, lots of enthusiasm on and off the Forum, great if you could get down to Oxford on the 3rd of April for our get together.

cheers Dicky

Comment

Originally posted by geoffb63 View Post
                  I have already joined the GRA be it last week, the bike is already on the database, RCS 112, listed owner in Isle Of Wight, i purchased the bike from a guy in Lincolnshire, only had it couple of weeks myself, history before this not really known although there is a suggestion of a link to Chas Mortimer Racing School, not confirmed though.
                  Now that's interesting. 24RCS 112 (and 113) aren't in the dispatch record, so either they went abroad (don't suppose the IoW counts ), or they didn't go to a dealer. Greeves did sell direct to the Mortimer Race School, so the school link is a real possibility.

Has it managed to acquire the later RDS/RES cambarrel gearbox (egg-shaped end cover) in its travels?

Oh, and welcome to the GRA - I see you're upgraded already.
                  Colin Sparrow

Comment

Thanks for replies.

Hi to all, can only say what a superb response from fellow members, more than i expected, i will have quite a few questions to ask shortly, unfortunately i am on holiday to Gran Canaria from Monday for 2 weeks, so, sorry Oxford is out, damm! i feel sure there will be other meets i can attend once i get back, i will make the effort to get the bike restored asap and have something decent to show you guys in the future. OH!!. thanks Rob for the upgrade
                    Last edited by geoffb63; 15/03/2016, 11:55 AM.

Comment

latest spec gearbox

Hi Colin, the bike is currently running a 4 speed gearbox, not sure what spec at present, i will have to try and locate a later spec box, if thats possible? the bike needs to be stripped, checked and replace as required, a new tank required, will get a new 36mm MK2 Amal to replace the existing MK1 Concentric, will really have to start from scratch.

Comment

Silverstones are fine for parading with a four-speed 'box. If you post a photo of the gearbox, we'll tell you what it is.

Sadly the cambarrel five-speeder is very hard to find and likely to be expensive if you do find one.
                        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Geoff - fire away with any questions! Looks like I am down to take a RCS to Stafford. I have plenty of info on what not to do with a Silverstone such as not racing in the wet with a bald front tyre!

Cheers,

Rob
                          Last edited by Rob; 09/04/2016, 10:46 AM. Reason: Por grommar!

Comment

Stafford?

Hi, thanks for the replies, when is Stafford on?? afraid i have not kept up with the dates of shows/meets, there is a guy in Leading Link selling a Silverstone box for £250 not sure what type it is, doesn`t say, will have to call him to find out, unless you already know, i am considering selling on my Arrow Racer and buying another Silverstone or even an Oulton if i can find one at the right price, will have to see what happens, looking to build a new shed so that i can bring the Silverstone from my container to work on, quite keen to get it up and running/ restored.

Comment

Working...
                            X