Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Owner of a Scottish

Hi All,

Quick intro - just bought a '58 Scottish, mostly original except the small matter of the engine.....

Wanted one of these since reading the late, great Don Smith's book on trials 30-something years ago when I took up the sport. Will hopefully see the GRA stand at the Shepton Mallet and Telford shows.....

In south Worcestershire area.

Cheers,

Ian.

Hello Ian,

Welcome to the world of Greeves and to the GRA forum.

The 1958 Scottish would have had a 197cc Villiers 9E (20TA, 20TAS), or a 246cc Villiers 31A (24TAS)

If you're after originality post the frame number and I'll tell you which model it is. If you're using it for trials then it's your choice. Later Villiers 250 singles will go in without undue difficulty.

Loads of help on here and it would definitely be worth joining the GRA and securing full access to the forum.

Say hello at Shepton Mallett and/or Telford.
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Join the GRA at Shepton or Telford with our special offer - instant membership on the day with the subscription lasting right round to June 2017!

Come to the GRA 'Annual Gathering' at Kidlington, near Oxford on Sunday, 3rd April and have a look around the (mainly Greeves) autojumble, see the bikes, talk to members, get sold raffle tickets and hear the guest speaker.

You will find plenty of help to get your Scottish in action again!

Rob

Comment

Hi Ian,

I'm also in South Worcestershire, as are a few other GRA members. You're not too far from Villiers Services at Dudley, who will if you want, be only too happy to sort out your engine for you!

Looking forward to being able to welcome you as a member.

Andy
        Membership Secretary

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, and I'll certainly be joining the GRA at one of the shows and I'll get to the Oxford event if I can.

My bike has an 11E motor - though this is just what it says on the plate on the primary cover, so may not be too accurate an indication. That said the gear change feels odd - maybe not a bike motor? It says 250cc in the logbook. I don't have the frame number to hand but I think it starts with an 8.

I've bought it mostly for the pre-65 Scottish - hopefully next year, though it may also see an outing in the MCC's trials if I can get some decent lighting to work.

Torn between originality and competitiveness - it will probably end up somewhere between.

Cheers,

Ian.

Comment

The frame number is punched into the alloy beam on the left side of the steering head. Quick trip to the garage will give you the answer.
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Thanks Colin. I'm working away at the moment and will post the number when I next get sight of the bike.

Comment

Hi Colin,

Frame number is 9098TA according to the paperwork.

I should be at Shepton Mallet with the bike on Sunday.

Thank you.

Comment

See you at Shepton Mallet, then!
                  Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hi Colin,

Nice to meet you and the others at the show yesterday and thanks for the information and check over.

Cheers,

Ian.

Comment

Nice to meet you too, Ian.

I'm just getting ready for a five-hour drive in this storm which is battering the West Country. I daresay the sun is out in East Anglia...
                      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
                      X