X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New addition

Hello Folks
    My names Mark from Middlesbrough .
    I've got an old 250 silverstone 1966 ,i have set about trying to restore .

Just waiting for the engine to be returned and then hopefully i can get involved in a couple of track days .

I have just browsed through the forum and noticed the problems with fibre glass tanks .
    I presume that because i have a old fibre glass tank , I'll have the same problems ?

I'm am not an expert on bikes , and to be truthful , this is my first since my RD50 back in the good old days .

I hope to interact with everyone to gain as much information as possible .

Hope you all don't get sick of my questions , but no questions , no answers.

Look forward to talking , Mark / fatmen4

Welcome aboard Fatmen4! (aka Mark.)

Hi Mark, and a warm welcome to the forum.

Congratulations on your Silverstone, sounds great! Funnily enough I was speaking to our club chairman Rob earlier on today, and he used to race his Silverstone back in the day. He asked me to mention to you that there is a database of surviving racers on the GRA website (http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/racers_database) and to ask if your bike has a frame number (some didn't apparently), and if so what is it?

As far as help with your bike goes, there is a wealth of knowledge and experience to draw on within the GRA, and Rob said he would be happy to chip in as well, so the best advice I can give you is to join the club. There are details on membership at the top of this page, and I would certainly recommend it from what you mentioned in your post. Also, it would give you full access to the members only sections of the forum and you will also be able to post pics etc.

As far as problems with your fibreglass tank goes, as you can see from the posts on this topic it is not straightforward, with differing views and experiences. The best thing I can suggest is have a good read through all the posts and see if you can find a way forward if you are experiencing problems. It seems that not everyone has though, but if so there are some good suggestions there to try. If it's ok at the moment, it might be as simple as using the 'right' fuel and draining it out between rides. If it comes to it replacement tanks (as original) are available by the sound of it, and modern resins might be better able to deal with modern fuels etc.

Hope this helps Mark, to be going on with.

Brian.
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 04/07/2010, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome,

I have already joined , so will have to register properly so has to post some pictures.
      The bike is looking really well to me , but to a trained eye it might look different , I'll welcome comment and advise once the pictures are on .

The bike does have a frame number , which i will add to the list when i've got to grips with the forum / site .

Cheers Fatmen4

Comment

New addition.

Nice one!

Looking forward to seeing some pics of your bike, and give us a shout if you need any help with the forum.

Info on upgrading your forum membership can be found here; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...hread.php?t=84

Cheers,

Brian.
        Last edited by Brian Thompson; 03/07/2010, 11:45 PM. Reason: URL added.

Comment

Hello Mark.

Hello Mark. I can't help applauding your bravery if this really is the only motorcycle experience since an RD50!
          Good luck with it.....

Comment

Well here we are .
            Just got engine back , fully re furbed , so here goes .
            Now after a few more tips.And don't forget , any tips must be aimed at a Greeves / bike Dummy . So if you can keep things simple

whats best to use ,

gear box oil / amount
            engine oil / amount
            and best petrol mix .

I've also heard a rumour that there is a solution which will line my fibreglass tank ?? , stop it going to putty .

I would also appreciate anyone living in the north east who would be interested in checking the bike over when i finished it ,don't want to blow it !

cheers Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Fatmen4 View Post
              Well here we are .
              gear box oil / amount
              engine oil / amount
              and best petrol mix .
              As another ex-Silverstone-racer I'll be interested to hear how you get on and will try to advise (if I know the answer )

Which gearbox have you got? Many have been changed to four-speeders from the original five-speeder and their capacities vary.

Engine oil - presumably you mean what oil to mix with the fuel. I used fully synthetic competition premix at 30:1.

Originally the engine would have used "R", but it really is more trouble than it's worth, believe me...
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

It's a five speed , does this make any difference ?

Comment

It's a five speed , does this make any difference ?
                  Only that the capacity may vary from the three different four-speeders it might have had fitted.

If the bike is 1966 and its frame number is 24RDS*** then it will be the original cambarrel Albion five-speeder - an excellent gearbox and very hard to come by. I'll check the oil capacity and come back.
                  Colin Sparrow

Comment

yes it is
                    24 RDS 157
                    and engine block no SP1 27 / 66 cc 892

Do you think this could be the original set up .

I did rescue it from an old timber shed . The owner said he'd raced it a couple of times .

Just sat the engine in tonight , now need to sort a full set of cables .
                    Had a new amal carb fitted , so that's the easy one i think, just needed to figure the length i needed .

Any advice and info welcome .

This doesn't have a front mud guard ? does it need it ?

Comment

Rebuild

If you get stuck with the rebuild and need a GRA member very close to you feel free to PM me and I'll help out.

Comment

Gearbox oil: straight SAE30 engine oil.
                        Capacity: about three-quarters of a pint (can't find exact amount) but in any case there is a level plug at the back of the gearbox. Take out the plug and fill it until it trickles out of the level hole.

Chaincase: 100cc of TQF (automatic transmission fluid)

Do you know what clutch it has? Post a photo if you're unsure.

The bike would originally have had a front mudguard. You don't need it for racing; it's just more weight.

If you post a couple of pictures one each side with the fairing off, say we'll sort out exactly what you've got there.

yes it is
                        24 RDS 157
                        and engine block no SP1 27 / 66 cc 892

Do you think this could be the original set up .

I did rescue it from an old timber shed . The owner said he'd raced it a couple of times .

Just sat the engine in tonight , now need to sort a full set of cables .
                        Had a new amal carb fitted , so that's the easy one i think, just needed to figure the length i needed .

Any advice and info welcome .

This doesn't have a front mud guard ? does it need it ?
                        Colin Sparrow

Comment

It has just had a new clutch fitted ,
                          A griffon clutch , i believe .

I'll sort a few pictures and pop them on .

Thanks for the help so far

Comment

Here we go colin .
                            A couple of pictures so far , does it a need a front guard .

let me know what you think ?

you might notice , it has a callenger head .

Am i on the right track .

sorry if anybody doesn't like the colours
                            Attached Files

Comment

fantasic! Its looking great.

Were not running a front mudguard on ours, just means it gets abit more dirty if it rains!!

Comment

Working...
                              X