New member with TDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your input. I have fashioned up a temporary solution and I'll have a look around at the options and this weekend at my first trial...

I understand about the issue with the positioning so I think I'll aim for something close to the pivot point and see how I get on.

Cheers
    Andrew

Comment

Strange that this problem has arisen, Greeves made hundreds of these bikes & never fitted a chain tensioner or indeed was one required. It looks as though some changes to the frame, swinging arm, sprockets, wheels etc have been made over the course of time. You really do need to find the real cause of the misalignment rather than try to resolve it with a chain tensioner.

Comment

tensioner

hi i agree with john i run my scottish with a 13 tooth gearbox and the std old steel rear sprocket ,no tensioner and up to now have had no problems even with a s/car on ,i use it for one day events and long distance trials , if you are having problems i would go back to basics and try to find what is the problem it sounds like a previous owner has tried to modify things ,but the factory was pretty good at getting things working , will.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Yes, completely agree, that's why I asked the question.

Potential options have been mentioned and I've checked and they seem to be standard (or acceptable)

Rear sprocket is 60 and I think that's OK (do you agree?)

Rear units are 13" which seems OK (do you agree?)

Front sprocket seems to be original as I don't have a receipt for it (I need to check this but I don't think its changed). TBC

Swing arm and frame seem original, can you see any differences in the photo? Are there any 'normal' alterations that I should keep an eye out for?

Rear wheel is the standard tyre so that is probably correct? Do you think?

I have always thought I must be missing something as its not standard to fit a tensioner but as this is the first time I've owned a Greeves I thought Id ask.

Thanks for your help
          Andrew

Comment

Its difficult to spot differences from photos, you really need to put it alongside another bike that is known to be correct & check any differences. Trouble is that these bikes are now over 50 years old & have gone through many owners who may or may not have made mods over the years. That's the nature of the comp bike, mods were made to keep it competitive, its only now that these things are getting collectable that people want them back as original, & like yourself are finding problems due to previous mods.
            You dont say how you came by this bike, was it on eBay, or bought from someone you know? If it has passed documentation ie old V5's buff log books etc then you may be able to trace it back via owners to see what mods may have been made, or if they had problems with chain alignment. All a bit of a long shot I am afraid as some early owners may now be 'riding in another world'

Comment

Hi John,

Yeah true, OK. Someone an hour away has got in contact with me with a standard version so I think I'll go and have a look and play 'spot the difference'.

I got the bike from a guy in a motorcycle club that I'm in. He has owned the bike since 1965 so I'm the third owner and we think its original. Its been rebuilt so I have lots of receipts so I think (ie I don't know and need to confirm) its standard apart from a few bits and pieces. All of this has raised this question of why I'm having issues with the chain. I think the first owner was a bit more competitive so maybe they did mods???

As you say, I cant see anything majorly wrong so I'm sure it must be a few small differences which add together to give this issue. I've alleviated the issue so its OK to use the way it is and I'm down in Surrey this Sunday so I might see an example there I can have a look at too.

Cheers
              Andrew

Comment

Andrew
                I think the area to look at is around the footrest mounts I note from your photo that the rear brake lever is much modified from standard (much shorter) also the foot rest mountings are non standard so maybe its these that are fouling the chain.

Comment

Hi Andrew,
                  Glad you will be down at the trial on Sunday, there will be lots of Greeves we hope, and a good selection of people to offer you help, the main reason i think about chain tensioners is that due to some sections today being made to hard, and nothing like what the bikes were designed for has brought about this.

Still, even with these modern aides chains still fly off, with stones etc so dont worry about it to much.

Comment

Andrew, are you riding in the GRA trial this Sunday (about time we gave it a name)? If so, there will be a few people who should be able to help (including hoveactually who will have broken down by section 5 ).

Comment

Round up

Hi All,

Thanks very much for all your help and welcoming me to the trial the other week. My first trial went pretty well I think. I started on the easy course and cleared most of them at one point apart from the last one. That section was tricky for me but I think I got 1 point on one of my attempts...

I went to a modern trial today and that didn't go well. The 'easy' section was about the same or maybe harder than the hard one at the GRA trial so I left after only looking at two of the sections... Wont try that again. Is there a list of pre65 friendly trials?

Going back to one of my original questions regarding chain tension, I asked and looked at a few chain setups at the GRA trial the other week and found a few things out. Most (if not all) had chain tensioners fitted so I think Ill have a go at getting one on, there are different options so I took some pics.

Thanks again,
                      When do we all do it again?

Cheers
                      Andrew
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X