Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '58 20TA 'bitsa' Huntingdon

Hello,

In the process of joining so I thought I'd make my introduction!

So the important bit here's the bike

So its a '58 (first reg 04/01/58) 20TA frame 80**/TA that I have owned since 1997. Came to me from the Framlingham area of Suffolk. I guy I got it from I suspect only had it to rob it of what I suspect its original reg '362 BKR' as I have an MOT cert from May 97 bearing that reg and the correct frame number . When I bought it had a age related non-transferable number

It was in a poor state, non running so how it got an MOT.... well I can only guess it was needed to effect the transfer. An initial attempt to get it ride-able faltered as the engine had been upped to a 250 barrel but still had the 51/4 rod, despite someone having skimmed a big chunk of the head away it was still a little short on compression to run well. The story paused there as life got in the way and the bike sat in the back of the garage, untouched apart from some house moves.

2 winters back I decided to get my act together and do something with it. The badly bent leading link forks didn't make the cut when a pair of metal profiles came my way for less than a set of rubber bushes. The tank is what it arrived to me wearing a Wassal job with the front mounting bracket crudely welded on. Wheel is the obligatory tiger cub laced to a generic 21" steel rim. Work is all my own apart from the powder coating. Engine is completely rebuilt with Electrex world electronic ignition and some repro covers as the old one were like swiss cheese.

Ahh... almost forgot the exhaust, I guess this will a marmite bike for the front end conversion and the look of the exhaust, a thing of my own invention and fabrication. No dynos' were troubled in the development of said exhaust so its effect on performance could be good bad or indifferent.

Being so far away from original colour is immaterial so the tank colours are based on the flag of the county of my birth, the finest county in this kingdom..... Devon!!

Aim is to have a go at some trials, I do a bit of green laning on a CCM 404, but have never ridden trials at all. But hope to find a novice friendly easy trial I try it out with out damaging me or the bike too much. Any suggestion or practice events in the East ( I know of the dabbers) are more than welcome.

AK
    Last edited by akendall1966; 27/04/2015, 07:54 PM.

Welcome! Marmite bike? I think it looks great!

Comment

Hi ak, first of all, welcome to the club.... as for the bike...to me, its nice to see a purposefull little bike with someones personality bestowed on it, as opposed to the the run of the mill...silver & blue....well done & enjoy the gra....

Comment

AK welcome to the GRA ,bike looks great love the colour. What part of Devon,I lived in North Devon till last year in that beautiful county moved just over the border to South Somerset.
        Simon

Comment

Welcome aboard, we have a Cambridge GRA section which meets at The Lord Byron at Trumpington near Cambridges http://www.lordbyroninn.co.uk/ (short trip down A14/M11) We meet every 3rd Thursday from 7.30 on. Drop in and see us, we have a member Mick Hobbs out your way.
          Yes the original number 362 BKR (a Kent registration) has been sold on, its now on a Mercedes car, looks like the man you bought it off of near Framlingham was Andy Tiernan the classic motorcycle dealer who likes to rob the occasional number.
          Looks a smart little bike.
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 27/04/2015, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome all.

Simon - other side Paignton S-Devon is where I grew up, and lived in Plymouth for a bit too.

Hi John, cheers, I'll try and make it along. I am member of the Cambs TRF who also meet 3rd Thursday. So I have a clash to contend with.

Adrian

Comment

58 bitsa new member

Wecome, what a great looking bike, like the exhaust system bet it sounds good , i like these special as has been said before.

Comment

Originally posted by akendall1966 View Post

Hi John, cheers, I'll try and make it along. I am member of the Cambs TRF who also meet 3rd Thursday. So I have a clash to contend with.

Adrian
                Bring the TRF lads along with you, (have a ride out evening) all the merrier, you dont have to be a GRA member & we already team up with the British Two Stoke Club.

Comment

Working...
                X