X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Highland member.

Hello there,
    I'm George from near Glencoe.
    On the point of retiring about the end of May just after my 70th birthday and have one or two of my 60's/70's comp bikes still in the shed as retirement projects.
    As a surprise, the family just bought me a Hawkstone and most of an MDS. It's about 50 years since I last raced a Hawkstone, I'd forgotten how small they were!. Hope to get an outing or two with the Scottish Classic Racing Club but the modern body armour et al puts me off a bit. A far cry from a rugby jersey, a pudding basin, and corduroy trousers!.
    Lots to do to both bikes, I think the MDS will be the first rebuild, I always wanted one, but maybe it'll be the Elstar Jap. The MDS seems to have a 197cc all-alloy kart engine - BIG squish band very small combustion chamber, 36mm carb.
    Can't wait to retire and get stuck in.
    Cheers,
    George.

Tribsa 110

Welcome George, you will have no trouble on here finding the answers with the Scramblers that frequent the Forum, its nice to see the pre 70 reports and chat.
    Welcome again onbehalf of the GRA committee

Comment

Yeah, welcome to the club george.....plenty of info on here.....

Comment

Would it be this MDS? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GREEVES-PR...p2047675.l2557

Comment

Yes welcome George, it's all here for your Greeves, great membership who are always willing and able to offer their knowledge and advice.
          Now the Elstar Jap sounds interesting

Colin

Comment

'Factory MDS Service Notes.'

Hi George, and a warm welcome to the forum.

You'll find a copy of the factory 'Service Notes' for the MDS model here, which may come in handy of you don't already have a copy (see posts #7,8 and 9 of this thread); http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ead.php?t=4751

You'll need to send Rob (GRA Chairman) a PM (or email) so that he can upgrade you to 'GRA Member' in order to access it though, and all the other 'private' areas of the forum, where I hope you'll find additional useful info as well.

Hope you enjoy the forum and membership of the GRA, and have a lot of fun with your Greeves.

Brian.
            Last edited by Brian Thompson; 10/04/2015, 10:55 PM. Reason: Link added.

Comment

Welcome to the Griffon Riders Association George. Best place in the world for info and meeting people that think Greeves. Even Hawkstone's and other bikes that came before the mighty Griffon.
              Craig.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
                Hi George, and a warm welcome to the forum.

You'll need to send Rob (GRA Chairman) a PM (or email) so that he can upgrade you to 'GRA Member' in order to access it though, and all the other 'private' areas of the forum, where I hope you'll find additional useful info as well.

Hope you enjoy the forum and membership of the GRA, and have a lot of fun with your Greeves.

Brian.
                Hi George / Brian,

I've already asked Rob to upgrade you on the forum.

Welcome again from me too! (Hopefully no longer snowing up there?)

Best regards

AndyB
                Membership Secretary

Comment

Long live the Hawkstone!

Welcome aboard, George, and don't worry about the "new fashion" riding gear. I still get away with riding in a rugby jersey and leather breeches, although the helmet, I admit, is a bit more up-to-date. Ignore the comment about the Griffon Riders Association ........... Hawkstones still live on!

Comment

We have no discrimination, all models are welcome! There are some rapid Hawkstones in the Greeves Championship scrambles, some run rings round most of the Griffons, but we won't mention names here......

Comment

Hi George,
                      Hope you have a good sense of humour and take my Griffon remarks the way they are intended. Hope everyone else has a sense of humour as well.
                      Its a great part of the forum to be able to say hello to new members, it would be nice if more members felt that way.
                      Now all I need to do is get my Griffon's on the track and stop this talk about fast Hawkstones .

Comment

Hi George, you have probably noticed that I upgraded you a couple of days ago. There was some confusion over a mail address that did not seem to work so I couldn't let you know.

Anyway, welcome to the GRA and also the forum, I hope you find both useful.

Don't take too much notice of this 'sense of humour' thing! I will ban anyone who appears to be enjoying themselves!

By the way, you had better get those bikes finished before you retire because you won't have any time after. Time thieves lurk everywhere! This week was clear until this morning - then, next doors oil tank needed sorting, the other next door's Lagonda needed it's exhaust sorted and then rig up a projector for a talk on beekeeping at the local WI. Tomorrow is churchyard mowing and Thursday is painting the village hall railings. On top of that, I've got Dangerous Dick's Anglian engine in 1,000 bits and a another friend's newly acquired Bultaco to get right for him. Not a penny earned!

Comment

New Highland Member

Hi George,http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...es/biggrin.gif
                          See what i mean about the members who will help you out, look what the Chairman (Captain Mainwaring) has put on ! he is never sat down, and if he is allowed too, 30 seconds and he is asleep.
                          by the way captain i did tell you on sunday morning there was distinct smell of DIESEL in your garden!!!http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...s/rolleyes.gif

Comment

Fraternal greetings and thanks to all of you who responded to my introductory post (even the plonker with the Griffon!!.)
                            On the sense of humour bit, I'm probably the last person who could ever be accused of being up my own exhaust, so to speak.

Rob, I'm beginning to dread retirement now with all of the time consuming possibilities you list, but having done my fair share of that sort of thing over the years I've put a microwave and a kettle in the shed and a bolt on the inside of the door so I can lose myself for hours tinkering with the bikes.

Renewed my passport not long ago so will be heading to Stafford next week, I've never been to any of these big shows since the 1960's at Earls Court.

Best regards to all,
                            George.

Comment

Working...
                            X