Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• basket case

hello all,
    I've just aquired a 380 griffon qub in about 10 boxes, don't know to much about them but rebuilt lots of bikes in the past.
    my plan is to rebuild it and get it road legal and maybe do some green laneing up and around northumberland. No doubt lots of questions and missing parts to follow.... I know lots of engine parts are missing and am contemplating fitting a yamaha sr 250 motor to make it more reliable/ less peaky than a two stroke.

hope that dosn't offend the purists.....

Originally posted by rids View Post
    hello all,
    I've just aquired a 380 griffon qub in about 10 boxes, don't know to much about them but rebuilt lots of bikes in the past.
    my plan is to rebuild it and get it road legal and maybe do some green laneing up and around northumberland. No doubt lots of questions and missing parts to follow.... I know lots of engine parts are missing and am contemplating fitting a yamaha sr 250 motor to make it more reliable/ less peaky than a two stroke.

hope that dosn't offend the purists.....
    Welcome aboard 'rids', sounds like a good project, as its a basket case rebuild I dont think there is a problem in using a Yam SR 250 engine, the advantage of using the SR 250 engine is it would not need an oil tank as oil is contained in the engine unit. It would certainly make the bike more suitable for green laneing & road use. I think you would find the 380 Griffon engine a bit aggressive & noisy for trail use. The jap engine would also be more reliable, & have generating capacity for lighting. Good luck with the project.

Here is an SR250 engine in a Scottish frame, would be an easy fix in a Griffon
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 11/10/2014, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Rids, if you want to sell whats left of the motor pm me, regards, dave.

Comment

Alternate Cheaper option - set up as a Griffon Enduro spec

An alternate would be to swap your (no doubt) close ratio gearbox for a wide ration enduro version and add lights. The QUB engine is very powerful yes - but it is not peaky like a modern reed valve 2-stroke crosser. It is one of the most tractable mx engines with pull off the bottom due to its straight line power "curve" - Kenny Sykes in US - Bearingman on this forum could advise on differences - but essentially with the wide ratio's you would be softening the power delivery considerably...indeed some Greeves riders prefer the wide ratio on the bigger 380............ The Enduro's were very popular in California for desert riding.
        Cheers Kim

Comment

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
          Rids, if you want to sell whats left of the motor pm me, regards, dave.
          i'll see whats there when i start sorting thru boxes. i already have the sr engine so am pretty sure i'll go down that line. has anyone had any experiences of getting one road legal? i believe i have to get an mot on the frame number, same with insurance then apply to dvla for an age related plate.

Comment

has anyone had any experiences of getting one road legal? i believe i have to get an mot on the frame number, same with insurance then apply to dvla for an age related plate.
            Yep I think thats about it, there is a first registration fee about £80 I think. You may also need a dating certificate (off Druid) to qualify for free tax if the bike was manufactured prior to 1st January 1974. Register it as a Greeves not Yamaha Greeves (or any other concoction of the two names) as this may cause problems with insurance, and if at some future date you or a future owner wants to revert it to original spec it will only need an engine number & capacity change.
            Last edited by John Wakefield; 11/10/2014, 01:39 PM.

Comment

got 1st look of all the bits today and a bit disappointed. the frame is there but i cannot see a frame number! i presume it should be on the headstock. ive got the original chrome rims and some nice alloy ones of a bultaco, alloy tank forks and yolks and not much else don't like giving up on things but really don't know what to do. try and build it or sell whatevers worth anything

Comment

Don`t give up mate, the frame,tank,forks are a pretty good start point, the bultaco rims will be 36 hole, no good if your gonna use the griffon hubs, but sort it all out & see exactly what you`ve got.
                Out of interest what did you buy it as without loooking, just a job lot of parts or a complete bike resto project.......

Comment

Sr250

Quite a bit of surgery required on the bottom rails to accommodate the Yamaha. You could try looking for a scrap SR250 frame and combining the two. Not much scope for using the traditional parallel engine plate set up. At least, you won't be bothered by the need to fit an oil tank!

The frame number was stamped on a makers plate pop riveted to the headstock. You may find signs of the holes.

Good luck with your project.
                  Last edited by Phil Hyde; 11/10/2014, 07:27 PM. Reason: predictive text.............

Comment

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
                    Don`t give up mate, the frame,tank,forks are a pretty good start point, the bultaco rims will be 36 hole, no good if your gonna use the griffon hubs, but sort it all out & see exactly what you`ve got.
                    Out of interest what did you buy it as without loooking, just a job lot of parts or a complete bike resto project.......
                    a load of parts..... looks like i'll not be able to age the frame as there is no plate, the bultaco alloy rims are complete wheels. i also got a bultaco frame and tank, and a complete sr 250. not a bad bunch of parts really,

Comment

a load of parts..... looks like i'll not be able to age the frame as there is no plate, the bultaco alloy rims are complete wheels. i also got a bultaco frame and tank, and a complete sr 250. not a bad bunch of parts really,
                      One possibility is to get the frame number from the engine number (if its the original) The club should have the records if it was sold in the UK.

Comment

Fit the SR engine in the Bulty and build the Griffon standard and sell if it's not your need.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                          Fit the SR engine in the Bulty and build the Griffon standard and sell if it's not your need.
                          Might be difficult getting a dating cert for the Bultaco frame, as there does not appear to be a UK club only http://www.spanishmotorcycles.org/ in the USA who would not be much help as they are not DVLA authenticated. The man who could have done it Mike Worthington-Williams no longer does DVLA authentications.
                          This web page may though identify the Bultaco model http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/fi...art-20155.html
                          Last edited by John Wakefield; 11/10/2014, 10:30 PM. Reason: Link added to Bultaco model id

Comment

Rids, if you decide to sell the griffon parts, then when you know what you have, use the pm messaging system & then we can discuss a price. regards. dave.

Comment

think this is total of greeves parts, not that much really.
                              [URL=http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/therids/media/greeves004_zps14b101ad.jpg.html]

Comment

Working...
                              X