No announcement yet.

New Member from Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the avoidance of doubt: I have examined a "new" Anglian close up, the beam was not cast from an original pattern. RD had new patterns made.
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

new member Donnie

Welcome to the club Donnie, I have been at Mallory Park with Rob over the last few years and seen you flash round on the Jock Gibb racer that you used to race now owned by Dean Want.

Nice to see you that you are using a proper trials iron , dont forget a knee down will cost you a five !

cheers Dicky

Comment

Bad Luck continues!

My first bit of bad luck was meeting Rob Thornton at the Spa Bikers Classic a couple of years ago.

The bad luck continued when I met him again with his Greeves Trials bike at the Mallory Festival of 1000 Bikes and he convinced me a Greeves was the bike to have.

More bad luck came my way when I found and bought a Greeves Scottish that was only 25 miles from home. Bought as a non-runner but runs fine after fixing clutch and fitting a Villiers carb.

The final piece of bad luck is that I now have an entry for the pre 65 Scottish (start Number 1) and will now have to get myself and the Greeves fit for action in May! Not sure what will be the most difficult!

Anyway, look out for future requests for tech info and advice over the next couple of months.

Pic of bike attached.
        Attached Files

Comment

You mean you HOPE that is the final piece of bad luck - never make assumptions, you should remember that from your racing days!

Just to help you ward off further bad luck and also provide excellent technical help, I attach a picture of some people with magical powers that can help out!

Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year!

Rob
          Attached Files

Comment

Where's me beer goggles when I need 'em....

The one on the right is well fit!

.....not sure about his sister though.....!

Nice one Rob, thanks for sharing (I think....!)

Brian T.

Comment

Welcome.

But seriously, if we must.....

Welcome aboard Donnie, and congrats on the new aquisition.

Loads of info available on Scottish trials models, just holla!

Brian T.
              Last edited by Brian Thompson; 24/12/2013, 06:00 PM.

Comment

New member from Scotland

Hi Donnie,
                good on you, you will enjoy riding the Scottish. I have a 1957 TA that I drag out from time to time.
                When I first got hold of it, it had a palmer flat exhaust and the solid low down footrests and it rode like a dream. With a few wins on it.
                I then put the standard exhaust back on it and fitted folding footrests as I was getting grief from officials for using the solid footrests. The footrests then became a bit higher and a little further back. It never rode the same again. The best thing to do is change the exhaust system.
                But we all have our own tasts. Welcome to the GRA, they are a friendly bunch, and enjoy your Greeves.

Terry Sewell

Comment

Originally posted by Donnie View Post
                  Hi

Just bought my first ever Greeves a couple of months ago - a 1960 Scottish. Bought as a non-runner, but now have it running. Plan is to try and get an entry for the pre 65 Scottish in the next couple of years.

I do modern trials with a Sherco and used to do road racing. Still occasionally ride a racing bike at Classic parades. Been lucky enough to make the acquaintance of Greeves stalwart Rob Thornton at these events.

Donnie
                  The plan to get an entry for the pre-65 went better than expected. I got an entry for the May 2014 event. I think the Clerk of the Course is a Greeves fan!

Got the bike finished the day before the trial, so had no chance to ride it. However, bike went well - rider not so well. Managed to achieve my aim of finishing the pre-65 on a standard bike and really enjoyed the trial. Great sections and great scenery.

Big thanks to the GRA, especially to Rob Thornton, Adrian Dickerson, Brian Thompson and John Collard.

Attached pic of me and Greeves on finish ramp in Kinlochleven.
                  Attached Files

Comment

In particular there is a current thread running started by Cookie who is also sorting out a 1960 Scottish to use.

Just search on "1960 Scottish

Hi Colin, is this only for Members, as the above search found nothing new, except some old posts about my 1960 24TCS.
                    Thanks.

whitehillbillies

Comment

Just re-reading this and I'm surprised that nobody congratulated Donnie on his finish in this year's event. Good job you didn't have ambitions to ride last year...

Comment

Brian - I did but privately!

So here it is publicly - well done Donnie and congratulations on finishing after all the effort you put in with the bike!

You've got more nerve than me but having said that, I would still like to ride in the Scottish!

Hope you have a few more rides planned.

Well done again, Rob

Comment

Working...
                        X