Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member. Essex.

Hello All.
    I have just bought a Greeves Scottish,[will upload some photos when i can],will look forward to learning from you all how original it is.

Why a Greeves?I was bought up with them.When i was young in the 60`s/70`s,my Dad ran and rode in the Essex Police Trials Team,he knew various members of the Greeves factory,and received much support from them,incuding,bike preperation,and even on a couple of occasions,having the use of a works bike.

He had a Scottish,originally,and its great to have a Greeves, in my garage,the noise and the smells have come flooding back.
    Regards,
    Russ.

Great, look forward to the pics, the story and seeing it in the flesh!

Comment

Hello from one Essex new member to another!

I knew a lot of the Essex Police Trials team from the era you mentioned. I still see Johnny Woods from time to time. I also recall Dick Parker, Malcolm Gandy, John Gaut, Harold Cook and others who's faces I can picture but can't put a name to. Was your dad one of those? Dick P was probably the best of the bunch although John G may have surpassed him but for his tragic accident. A pal and I once got invited to take part in one of their two day trials in Hertfordshire. A great event. You've kindled some wonderful memories there!

Like you I've recently purchased a Scottish - '62 24TES - and after getting Greg Radley to sort the engine for me I rode it for the first time in the recent Beamish Trophy Trial. Felt a bit like cheating on the Greeves compared to the old iron I usually lug around up there but a great day and apart from a couple of carb gremlins the Greeves was brilliant.

Take care - Dick H

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
        Great, look forward to the pics, the story and seeing it in the flesh!
        Hello Brian,
        Thank You,when i am able to post pictures,i look forward to finding out a bit more about the bike.
        Regards,
        Russ.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick H View Post
          Hello from one Essex new member to another!

I knew a lot of the Essex Police Trials team from the era you mentioned. I still see Johnny Woods from time to time. I also recall Dick Parker, Malcolm Gandy, John Gaut, Harold Cook and others who's faces I can picture but can't put a name to. Was your dad one of those? Dick P was probably the best of the bunch although John G may have surpassed him but for his tragic accident. A pal and I once got invited to take part in one of their two day trials in Hertfordshire. A great event. You've kindled some wonderful memories there!

Like you I've recently purchased a Scottish - '62 24TES - and after getting Greg Radley to sort the engine for me I rode it for the first time in the recent Beamish Trophy Trial. Felt a bit like cheating on the Greeves compared to the old iron I usually lug around up there but a great day and apart from a couple of carb gremlins the Greeves was brilliant.

Take care - Dick H
          Many thanks for your reply Dick.
          Yes i remember all of them ,particularly John,he lived up the same street as we did.

My dad is Harry Cook,i still have a lot of photos from that era,including a period feature in the Police Gazette,telling the story of the team,with some nice pictures,of that time,including the factory,with Bill Brooker.

My Dad has some great memories of that Greeves era,and some stories that probably,could not be printed here.

Great to hear about your Scottish,i dont think i am ready for any trials yet,but intend to go to a few,and just follow,until i feel a bit more confident.

Regards,
          Russ.

Comment

Hi Russ,
            I remember your dad well! If you go to the Eastern Fourstroke Association website (www.eastern-fourstroke-association.co.uk) and scroll down the home page to 'Fixtures' you'll see a great picture of your dad getting a bit acrobatic on the Anglian, complete with cloth cap and wooly pully - no pretty boy gear in those days!
            Give him my best regards - Dick H (ex. Chelmsford Auto Club)

Comment

Originally posted by Dick H View Post
              Hi Russ,
              I remember your dad well! If you go to the Eastern Fourstroke Association website (www.eastern-fourstroke-association.co.uk) and scroll down the home page to 'Fixtures' you'll see a great picture of your dad getting a bit acrobatic on the Anglian, complete with cloth cap and wooly pully - no pretty boy gear in those days!
              Give him my best regards - Dick H (ex. Chelmsford Auto Club)
              Many many thanks Dick,
              That is amazing,he will be very pleased,he still breaks out an old cloth cap,now and again,its probably the same one,i will pass on your regards.
              Thanks,once again.
              Russ.

Comment

Cookie

Hi Russ,
                I once owned a motorcycle shop by the Five Bells at Basildon, and your dad and Pete Gaunt called in quite regularley.

Terry Sewell

Comment

Working...
                X