Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi. My name is Andy Heitman and I live in Smalldole West Sussex. I have owned a small off road motorcycle business, situated at Golding Barn Raceway in Smalldole, this year we celebrate our 33rd year in the game.
    My son Sam who now manages the business rides a Triumph Metisse mainly with the Pre65 club. We have had many enjoyable years racing MX but only in the last two years have turned to classic racing after building the Metisse from scratch mainly to fulfil what I can only describe as a late mid life crisis, Sam humouring me agreed to race it, as a result we both have gotten the bug!.
    The Greeves class at Pre65 caught our eye due to the close competitive racing, so we thought we would have a look around and see what we could find, We blindly made a purchase and now own a 67 Challenger basket case. after monitoring the forum as a basic user for a couple of weeks I decided to join up and crack on with the rebuild.
    My hasty purchase is emerging to be probably not ideal, I think the bike has originated from the US with a GPA9 engine number and a SP1 gear box 46/67 (not kidney) and after counting the teeth and matching with an ebay purchased parts book looks like its a wide ratio.
    I welcome any advice on what would be ideal gearing etc to get it ready to compete in the Greeves Challenge.
    I guess I will be bombarding the Help & Advice over the coming weeks trying to find information on colours etc to get it back to original.

Hi Andy, welcome aboard.

If you let us know the frame number (to be found stamped into the alloy beam on the left side of the steering head), I'll post a picture or two of what it should look like.

Are you going to Maylandsea on Sunday?
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hello Colin,
      Thanks for this its 24MX5B488. Yes looking forward to Maylandsea.
      Andy

Comment

Welcome aboard

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the fold, your in luck, I have a close ratio cam barrel gearbox that should get you out of trouble, I can take it to maylansea on Sunday if its of interest? It needs a good clean though

Colin are you going? If so I need to return my gra trophy.

2nd ride of the year for me, cant wait.

Regards

Scott151

Comment

Hi Scott,
          That certainly is of interest, if you can pm me the cost I will come and find you on Sunday.
          Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Norcom View Post
            Hello Colin,
            Thanks for this its 24MX5B488. Yes looking forward to Maylandsea.
            Andy
            Hi Andy. A banana-fork 24MX5 Challenger then. Long-stroke Challenger 250 engine, late cambarrel gearbox, so Scott's one would be just right.

Hi Scott, yes, I intend to be at Maylandsea, I'll look you up. Might be easiest to leave the trophy with Dave Harper in case I don't make the final meeting, but we'll see. OK?

(I'm going to a wedding in Brum tomorrow and won't be back until late, but hopefully I manage to get up on Sunday...)
            Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 23/08/2013, 08:09 AM.
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Andy,

I remember when you first started up, you helped me with something but I can't remember what!

I've ridden quite a few trials along the hill above your place and also Harris's Pit, not to mention a hill-climb over the back (I borrowed a 360 Challenger). Lots of Greeves in those days!

One of Greeves all-time greats, the late Brian Stonebridge graced those slopes, albeit on BSA's, during the 1956 Sunbeam Point-to-Point. He was in good company with Smith, Curtis, Ward, Draper, Eastwood, Beamish, Leask, Rickman, to name a few. Triss and Bryan Sharp also rode and later became Greeves works riders.

I've got quite a bit of Greeves info here and am only just down the road from you. Please let me know if I can help.

I'm sure you'll get that bike flying with your experience!

Rob
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Colin,
                thanks for the info, I suspect that this machine had something to do with Nick Nicholson ? reading elsewhere on the forum a finger port is mentioned which this certainly does have.

Rob it certainly is a small world, maybe we can get a few more Greeves down to Golding Barn we could certainly resurrect the old hill climb which was last used by Graham Noyce for physical leg training when he was a resident.
                If OK with you I would like to enlarge the poster and stick it up in the shop.

Comment

Certainly Andy, it is a programme cover. I've also got the proramme for the '55 Sunbeam event at Golding Barn plus the test of the 'new' scrambles circuit back in the 50's, think it could have been Johnny Giles.

I've also got an MX5 Parts Book!

Think we should have a Greeves reunion up there. Dangerous Dick down in Arundel has an MX4 and I don't think he has had a go at reshaping that part of the South Downs yet!

Ian Webster also works along the road at Hurst so perhaps we could persuade him out for a demo!

I see a 'Greeves / Age Concern' practice session coming on!

When you think of all the Greeves history in that part of the world courtesy of Beamish's, it would be the right thing to do! The first public appearance of the Griffon was only a few miles away at Clayton, the meeting also including, according to Mike Jackson, Britain's first Pre-65 scramble for which I still have some of the original entry forms for Johnny Draper, Dave Curtis, etc.

Not to mention the launch of the new Anglian at the 1965 Motorcycle Exhibition at Brighton.

It all happened down here!

Comment

That's it then its got to be done!
                    That will be my incentive to get this back together.
                    Pop in for a cuppa and we can have a look at a few mods to the track to make it suit, we can also open up a few of the trials sections and make a full day of it. Trials, Scrambles, Hill climb, just need to think of something for the road users.
                    What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Norcom View Post
                      Hi Colin,
                      thanks for the info, I suspect that this machine had something to do with Nick Nicholson ? reading elsewhere on the forum a finger port is mentioned which this certainly does have.
                      If it was exported to West Coast USA in 1967 it would certainly have passed through Nick Nicholson's dealership. He did sponsor riders, so you never know.
                      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Brilliant idea! Sounds like a Greeves event coming up!

I'll give you a shout and the get the road bike out.

Plenty of good roads for the road bikes over the Downs!

Cheers,

Rob

Comment

welcome andy.

What cracking thread, welcome andy, its a refreshing change to have a positive up beat subject to read about, also rob!, greeves day? sounds like a great opportunity to try something out there, if only a small event...

Comment

golding barn

Hi all,
                            Went to golding barn many times years ago,still go past quite often as my work takes me all over sussex. A greeves day there is a brilliant idea. Dont know if my griffon will be ready though as i keep finding more to do on it. My wheels are still at the builders at present but hope to get them back early next week then iv'e got to take frame for powder coating. Modifying foot pegs at mo(thanks terry excellent service). Hope that was an open invitation for coffee Andy.

Comment

Golding Barn Greeves day

Welcome Andy - and ditto Higgo's comments.
                              Pop over tomorrow at Maylandsea and have a chat (#275)

Re recent experience of re-builing challengers Scotty has been there and done it and am sure can provide lots of useful advice.

Scotty look forward to you back on track @ Maylandsea

Re a Greeves day at Golding Barn - what a cracking idea and would happily support ............Would be happy to bring down my big and little Griff's + MDS - I will put the word out on Sunday @Maylandsea - I am sure we could attract a few from the Greeves Championship ..........pretty sure I could persuade Mike Bell and Ian Cox down with their 250 and 360 challengers........

Rob - make sure you coerce Ian Webster - !! be good to give Dangerous Dick some competition
                              Cheers Kim

Comment

Working...
                              X