Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member from Southern California

Hello everyone-
    ..New to Greeves, in fact new to scrambling!..
    So a good friend wanted to race in the Catalina Grand Prix last year, and bought a Greeves 380 Griffon in decent shape to race the vintage class. For us Colonials, the Catalina GP was our low-rent version of your amazing Isle of Man TT . The race had been banned for 52 years ( some riders beat up the town Mayor or something )...until last December, and it was a huge event. We had guys from as far away as France racing. Some of the original racers were there as well---Preston Petty, Thad Wolfe, Malcolm Smith, Terry Pratt, Dave Ekins, Homer Knapp. Anyway, we went as a team, and were the only ones representing the Greeves marque. The bike ran well, and not for a mix-up in the course , our bike would have been in the top 5 in the vintage class.

here's a look http://youtu.be/HzUNrRtcp1Q

http://youtu.be/Uu9ExC-ftr4

There are now three of us; all on Griffons. We have formed a Greeves team and we are all complete newbs to Greeves, and two of us to racing. Our claim to fame is that we know absolutely Jack S**t about our old Brit bikes, but that we love them. I rode my first race two weeks ago and was introduced to the perils of Ethanol, loose bolts, and the Greeves metal clutch. Nonetheless, we soldier on, wind in our faces toward ultimate victory.....or the parts bin, whichever comes first and I am sure it will be the latter prior to the former.

So, I'm here....and I'll try to not stink up the joint.....now on to the search feature for 'clutch adjustment'
    Last edited by Marc SoCal; 16/09/2011, 04:22 PM.

Hi and welcome! Great to know that you and your team are "on our side". Best to join the GRA and get into the inner recesses of the Forum and website, so you can do your research.
    By the way, what was that strange red thing in front of you? One of those "foreign" bikes I assume!
    Last edited by Brian Catt; 16/09/2011, 04:51 PM. Reason: missed letter!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
      By the way, what was that strange red thing in front of you? One of those "foreign" bikes I assume!
      Invader!..much like this one http://youtu.be/9wNUl4ebXrI...: "That'll probably be the last Yamaha they send over here"

Comment

One of our local veteran trials competitors, Bryan Messenger, "stars" in one of the "Sundays", mainly by being on the same minute as Malcolm Smith in an ISDT. He said Malcolm was good in the fast bits, but lost time on the more difficult bits, allowing him to keep up with the American.
        Good job they didn't send a Kawasaki over then...

Comment

Hi Marc,

If you and your mates are new to Greeves you may not be aware of Frank Conley in Carmel Valley CA who has to be your best source of spares and advice. Great bloke and an old time desert racer.

Check out www.greevesguru.com

Apologies if you already knew about him...

Joining the Greeves Riders Association would be a good plan as well. Application form downloadable from the website www.greeves-riders.org.uk
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Thanks, Colin....yep I'm onto Frank...And Gil Vaillancourt (owner Works Performance) is a big help in the suspension and clutch department.

Is there a way to post photos here without a url link?

Comment

So far as I know only GRA members can post photos - though I daresay some wizard will find a way round that , if they haven't already...
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Greeves metal clutch

Hi Marc
                I run a Griffon clutch in my Challenger and no problems at all,I use it in hillclimbs and sprints so I am on tall gearing which means murdering the clutch off the line.
                What sort of lube are you running in the primary case? I use 1/8 of a pint of ATF fluid and it never slips or drags, there are a few little teaks that I will give you if you still have problems. I use plates from a guy here in England called Merv Stratford and these are the mutts nuts and cost around £70.00 a set.
                If you need any more help drop me line and I will happy to advise you based on my experiences.
                Cheers Allan

Comment

Working...
                X