No announcement yet.

Stuart from South London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Pete the bits you wanted to see. Together the oil tank and engine plate weighs about 5 or 6 kilos. The tank is a hatchet job.

I would think it's possible to drop the engine a bit and leave the tank as it is. It looks easy to lift the suspension if you want the ground clearance. Two nice thick pieces of alloy from the front mount to the back to mount the engine and brace with a welded on bash plate should be strong enough for a 250cc. I wouldn't rely on the motor to hold the bike together.

There are more pictures on my Photobucket album. Started spraying primer.

Comment

Thank's Stuart....It's the engine cradle I'm intersted in, it's pretty much what I had in mind for my own project...
      Though have also been studying Dave Higgin's tubular cradle, plus the alternative of a couple of engine plates pretty much like the original's..... Bit of food for thought for me....
      Thank's again Pete

Comment

Hi pete, one point i will add about my tube cradle, in hindsight i had to modify the footpeg arrangement slightly more to the front to allow a better arc of the kickstart.
        I have the bike apart at present post powdercoating & if you like i will post a pic of the cradle.
        The tube set up is stong yet flexes under stress, which is ideal, also if going down the road of a bsa implant, don`t forget about access to the filter housing, oil feed pipes etc. dave

Comment

I don't want to cause controversy but if you triangulate the engine correctly you could use the engine as a stressed member. It would mean that two of the engine mounts would need two bolts in the engine and the frame. There is still a danger of putting strain on the frame where the ally meets the steel tube but it should be OK for a 250. A strong head steady should see to that.

As for me, I'm going for plates that join the frame front to back.

Comment

Don't know if anyone is interested but I came across this on ebay.

Comment

Yes please Dave... That would be most helpful....

Comment

thumper engine cradle mk2

Hi pete, this is the design i ended up with, if you look back to the original, you will see that i have discarded the separate foot peg arrangement & moved the pegs up & onto the cradle, it works extremely well for moto x purposes & gives a good central balance for the rider
                But if may add my ten pence worth in, with trials in mind & foot pegs being set much farther back, getting a clear swing for the kick start is something to consider & exhaust runs & gear lever position can add to this problem, terry weedy does a wide angle k/start that works well, but as you will know, its all a bit " suck it & see " with these things, good luck, dave.
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi Dave, that's a nice idea I may do something similar. Most of the bottom of my rear frame has been cut off. I like the inclusion of the footrests. Would be better than welding onto the frame.

Comment

Done it again. I gave up going to pubs a year ago and ended up with too much spare change. What else do I do with it?

If I don't buy bikes I'll only waste it.

Comment

Working...
                    X