Ola from Tucson Arizona!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ola from Tucson Arizona!

Howdy, I'm Steve Campbell, retired A/C crew chief, hardrock miner, firefighter, small sailboat cruising sailor, with the anchor now down for the "rest of the voyage" in Tucson Arizona.

Had a Villers in a James frame, (James?, does that make sense?, it was about 47 years ago and some details have faded.) In those days I was riding my bicycle the 20 miles or so to Nick Nicholson Motors in North Hollywood to look at real "Greeves" and maby get to talk to a real "Greves Owner" hahahaha

After returining home in 1968 from a couple a years vacation in SE Asia, Republic of Vietnam, I purchased a new 24MX5B 692 from Nicholson for $985.

I rode it hard in the desert, Red Rock Canyon, CA, for about 3 years then moved to Colorado. It has been tarped and in a shed since then. We are now in AZ and it is time to put her right and start riding her again!

In 1972 or so fuel was drained and carb dried. carb and pipe plugged, and cases have never been alowed to get stray rain/snow in them. So she is now hanging over the bench, wheels, seat, tank off and I am starting to get inside! First stop primany case, dry and plates stuck together but upon disassambly only stained a bit on the steel ones, no rust!

Stand by, I'll keep Ya posted
    Hasta

Welcome.

Hi Steve, and welcome aboard!

Look forward to hearing about progress on the rebuild and any stories you have to share from your desert racing days!

If you join the club and upgrade your forum membership to 'GRA Member' you will be able to post pics as well-be great to see some!

Good luck with your Greeves!

Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by Campbell View Post
      Howdy, I'm Steve Campbell, retired A/C crew chief, hardrock miner, firefighter, small sailboat cruising sailor, with the anchor now down for the "rest of the voyage" in Tucson Arizona.

Had a Villers in a James frame, (James?, does that make sense?, it was about 47 years ago and some details have faded.) In those days I was riding my bicycle the 20 miles or so to Nick Nicholson Motors in North Hollywood to look at real "Greeves" and maby get to talk to a real "Greves Owner" hahahaha

After returining home in 1968 from a couple a years vacation in SE Asia, Republic of Vietnam, I purchased a new 24MX5B 692 from Nicholson for $985.

I rode it hard in the desert, Red Rock Canyon, CA, for about 3 years then moved to Colorado. It has been tarped and in a shed since then. We are now in AZ and it is time to put her right and start riding her again!

In 1972 or so fuel was drained and carb dried. carb and pipe plugged, and cases have never been alowed to get stray rain/snow in them. So she is now hanging over the bench, wheels, seat, tank off and I am starting to get inside! First stop primany case, dry and plates stuck together but upon disassambly only stained a bit on the steel ones, no rust!

Stand by, I'll keep Ya posted
      Hasta
      Steve,
      You have done a fine job of hangin' on to that Greeves, good luck with the restoration. I have done a good job of of changing bikes more often than most people change their skivvies, I wish I hung onto more of them.
      It looks like we both have some Navy time behind us, I did ten years as a F4 Phantom mechanic (I was a AD), got out went back to school, swore I would never have anything to do with the Navy again and spent the next 18 years working with Lockheed and the Navy in support of the submarine rescue program, never say never...
      So what other motorcycles do you own?

Best Wishes: Mike

Comment

Working...
      X