newbie that needs help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie that needs help!

i all i have taken on the restoration of 2 greeves for a friend and wondered if any of you guys can give me some pointers to what bikes i have and where the best place for parts is?
    both bikes are complete and where running before being forgotten about in the late 70's they both turn over freely and the twin even has spark and i have cleaned the gunge out of the carb but i cant get it to fire yet!
    hope some one can help
    i will up load some pics when i can suss how to do it!

Difficult to tell without actually seeing the bike. Generally with a two stroke if it has a spark & fuel it should start. You say you have cleaned the carb, have you cleared the jets particularly the slow running jet (the tube about 4mm dia going up through hole in float. This has a very small hole which you can clear with bristle from a wire brush. If it still wont start check that the plugs are wet (ie fuel getting through), finally put a shot of Easystart down the carb, if it then fires for a second or two there is still a fuel problem.
    I take it you have put fresh petroil in tank.
    As for parts Villiers Services are you people http://www.villiersservices.co.uk/
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 27/02/2011, 03:57 PM.

Comment

If you tell us the frame numbers (stamped into the alloy beam on the left-hand side of the steering head) we'll tell you what they are.

If you're tackling a Greeves restoration then you need to join the Greeves Riders Association. Much more help and advice available to members. Details and a downloadable application form on the website.
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

just looked at the frames
        and the first one is 61/4248
        and the other one is 9072/ta
        i still cant work out how to up load pictures!
        i am downloading membership forms today

Comment

61/4248 is a 1961 Sports Twin roadster, probably a 32DC. Does it have a 3T (325cc engine)?

9072 is a late 1958 or early 1959 20TA Scottish trials bike.

I don't have direct access to the factory dispatch records, but once you're a member we should be able to tell you exactly what they are, when they were made and to which dealer they were dispatched.
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

thanks colin, i have just put membership form in the post. not sure on the engine i will find out when it gets stripped

Comment

There should be an aluminium plate on engine (or rather on inner chaincase) it will have a serial number begining with the type, ie 3T. Of course it could have had 250 (2T) cylinders fitted so a measuement of the bores will give accurate size. A 2T has 50mm bore & 3T 57mm + any oversize which is generally stamped on pistons.

Comment

i have found engine number on a plate it reads 808B 59/3?

Comment

Villiers id

808B is a 2T fitted originally to an Ambassador Super 5 1959/61. Presumably yours in 1959.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                    808B is a 2T fitted originally to an Ambassador Super 5 1959/61. Presumably yours in 1959.
                    Or later of course. Still could be a 32DC with a replacement engine, then? The frame number's quite close to mine: 61/4212.
                    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Villiers id

Colin
                      I meant the engine was 1959 (808B 59/3?)
                      The 59 in number being the year it was made. Obviously not the original engine for bike

Comment

greeves numbers

Frame number is one away from my 32DC,61/4249

Comment

Working...
                        X