Ideas on what’s wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas on what’s wrong?

Bought a used wheel to fit my Scottish it’s a British hub 21inch, bought the correct nuts, washers, spacers
    this is the fit? It’s too far over. Any ideas
    Attached Files

The last photo makes it look as though it's leaning over (top to the left in the pic). I made the spacers for my similar 1958 Hawkstone rolling chassis as the ones that came with the bike were all over the place. These aren't close enough to tell but may give some clues? It may be worth checking the dimensions between the upper & lower damper bolts in case the loop is bent. I'm sure others will have more helpful suggestions.

Click image for larger version  Name:	complete05.jpg Views:	0 Size:	205.4 KB ID:	97056

Click image for larger version  Name:	complete04.jpg Views:	0 Size:	200.2 KB ID:	97057
    Attached Files

Comment

If the brake anchor plate is lining up with the fork (as looks to be the case) then spacers must be right, so as Ian S has mentioned looks like the loop may be bent and wheel is leaning to the left.

Comment

Agree with Ian, wheel looks to be out of parallel/vertical with forks. Could the spindle be bent, perhaps, or a problem with the bearings?

Comment

You have fitted the wheel spindle nuts the wrong way round. Firstly I would turn them round, but before nipping them up tight, give the forks a good few bounces with the wheel on the ground, then, with the weight on the wheel, tighten them up and see if it makes any difference. Make sure the keeper plates are a matched pair, and one is not preventing the spindle from fitting snugly up into the loop. If not, I suspect a bent bottom loop.

Also, I notice that the wheel spindle is well over to the off-side. If everything is correctly spaced, they should be equal each side. I don't know if that is relevant?
          Last edited by IanCordes; 27/12/2023, 12:29 PM. Reason: Adding a comment on a further observation

Comment

Thanks for the advice chaps. So I’ve bought a few further little bits and I have bought a rebuilt front wheel that has the correct off set etc so hopefully I’ll be able to get it sorted. Unfortunately I’ll miss my next trial. I also want to thank Gary yet again. A true enthusiast and he has been incredibly helpful. Thanks Gary.
            Tim

Comment

Thanks Tim was nice to meet you yesterday
              Gary

Comment

Yes thanks again, I’ve ordered that wheel it won’t be with me until next week unfortunately so I think the spindle will be fine I’ll let you know. Thanks again for your help appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                X