• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bert Greeves sidecar outfit

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1612.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	636.6 KB
ID:	96285 Picture from a Southend show. Chris Goodfellow tweeks the carb on the Greeves outfit. Sorry for the drinks tray that crashed the photo. I believe it was Chris’ son in the chair. Bert was present on the day.

Amazing photo Phil

Comment

Thanks Gary. On that day Some of Bert’s collection had been dug out of storage. All non runners as far as I can remember. Both Chris, and John (Collard) did sterling work to get the outfit running, as well as the Bickers scrambler. Bert’s daughter and son in law are stood behind the outfit by the chestnut fencing.

Comment

I totally agree Gary, and thanks for posting it Phil. It brought back fond memories of Chris Goodfellow and what a lovely bloke he was, sorely missed but never forgotten.

Hey Phil, what year was this at Southend? I ask because I'm going to try and put together a little treat for you, hopefully later today if I can pull it off.....watch this space......

Brian.

Comment

BVX45G was last known with Stuart Albon of St. Peterport Guernsey Known history (there may be some gaps) Passed from Bert Greeves to Andrew King 1993 & registered to him 9/99; to Igor Ashwell 7/05, sold Bonhams auction 26/4/ 09 for ?5060 to Alan Elderton, Benfleet. to unknown owner circa 2014, in Bonhams auction 4/16 sold for ?9430 to Stewart Albon, St Peterport Guernsey, re regd. 12698, non runner for sale ?14000 3/22. reduced to ?10735 12/22 See also this thread https://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/fo...combo-for-sale
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 05/11/2023, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Brian

according to the show plaques in the workshop i went to 3 Southend shows. 1988, the 2nd show at Southchurch Park, 1990 at Priory Park, and 1991, Southchurch Park. My best guess 90/91. Perhaps Druid could help.

​​​​​​​phil

Comment

Cheers Phil, that narrows it down a bit. My guess then would be possibly 1990, as 1991 was of course the 40th Anniversary Show commemorating 40 years of Greeves motorcycle production. The reason I say this is because I don't think OBG's outfit was featured in the film shot that day by Dave and Helena of 'Magic Moments' (Southend) which I have a copy of.

Back when I was working on the GRA Committee I had access to an old VHS copy of that film and I transferred it to DVD in my studio and presented a copy to the GRA for inclusion in the archive, where it should still be. It's a cracking film and at 78 mins in length an excellent record of the day. The DVD is really good quality thanks to the old VHS tape being in excellent condition. There are many highlights, including of course some lovely footage of Mr Greeves enjoying the day and being presented with a commemorative tankard by Andrew King and assembled members of the GRA at the time, along with cutting a cake made for the occasion and enjoying a celebratory glass of champagne.

One of the best things is Andrew King doing a walk round of the assembled Greeves models, one of the biggest ever gathered together I believe, and pointing out features and differences as well as some of the history.

Your photo of Chris and OBG's outfit jogged my memory of this excellent film so I dug out my copy hoping to grab a few screenshots. Sadly however, resurrecting an old computer with the software I needed was not a goer, so I had to do the next best thing and use a camera and take them straight off the screen. As such the quality is not to my usual standards but I spent some time tweaking them as best as I could. Nonetheless, I hope that you'll enjoy seeing these again after all this time (wow...34 years!) I've done quite a few so I'll start a new thread and upload the bulk of them there, but just for you mate and as promised, here's a few to get started with.

Hope you approve Phil.

Brian.

Pic 1: Andrew King admiring and being very complimentary about Phil's Grumph, as well he should!
              Pics 2 and 3: Detail shots of Phil's Grumph.
              Pics 4 and 5: ....I'm sure I recognise this geeza from somewhere.....(!)
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Brian Thompson; 05/11/2023, 12:54 PM. Reason: Pics attached.

Comment

Brian,

you’ve been busy. Yes, you have a better memory than me. It was the 40th anniversary, just like it was yesterday! Thank you so much Brian. I very much approve.

Comment

My absolute pleasure Phil, and so pleased the pics were well received.

Goodness knows, spending a few hours doing this on a Sunday morning in the hope of generating a bit of positivity on here, if only for you mate, was time well spent. Talk about 'Bonkers Britain', let alone the insanity going on worldwide right now....well, it sure made me feel a bit better anyway.

I've just uploaded all of the pics I generated in an album on my profile page. It can be found here, for anyone interested. Click the link and select 'Media' and you'll see it alongside my other uploaded albums; User Profile - Greeves Riders Association Forums (greeves-riders.org.uk)​​​

As mentioned, there's some crackers in there, including a very tidy JAP engined Greeves, a '61 ISDT bike in 'as found' form and much more. There's a couple that include our old mate Adrian Dickerson (Adrain on here, of course....! Ha!) and a couple of you and Ade sat in the line up. The smiles (as always) on Adrian's face says it all. A rather special day and nice to have a record of it. (see attached.)

All the best Phil,

Brian.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Brian Thompson; 05/11/2023, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Could be Bob Bartholmew and Steve Humphrey behind Phil,happy memories.

Comment

I do believe your’e right there Dave. Good times for sure

Comment

Originally posted by anglian man View Post
                        Could be Bob Bartholmew and Steve Humphrey behind Phil,happy memories.
                        There's a couple of you too Dave. Do check out my main thread on this and the link to my album where all the pics are.

So pleased it brought back some good memories for you. Happier times for sure.

Comment

Brian, I have a few hundred photos from the late 80s/early 90s. Great shows promoting the Greeves marque ( Brands, Southend, Fenman, etc). I will look them out and perhaps select a few more for display here. Worthy of mention is the 1986 Classicfest. A small but significant gathering of Greeves, as well as the venue for that years’ AGM.

Comment

Hi Phil,

That sounds really good, and personally I'd very much enjoy seeing whatever you can offer and contribute, as always.

I think others would too.

So, would anyone else like to offer Phil a bit of encouragement and like to see what he has in his collection?

Brian.

Comment

Working...
                            X