Dave Harper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Harper

For those that are unaware Dave Harper passed away a few days ago. Dave will be greatly missed by all those who are involved with Greeves. I spoke to him just over a week ago, a regular chat about what is going on in the Greeves world, which he enjoyed. -RIP

Sad news, he was a former Greeves employee and font of knowledge on Greeves motocross bikes. Another link to the factory gone. RIP Dave

Comment

Very sad to hear this news. Dave was so passionate about Greeves and continuing the legacy. He worked tirelessly to keep the Greeves series going in the Pre65 Motocross Club and was a true clubman and enthusiast with a wealth of knowledge and experience. He will be greatly missed, but never forgotten. Sincere condolences to his family and many friends.

Brian.

Comment

Very well put, Brian, Tony and John. I counted Dave as a good friend and will certainly miss him now that he has left us. May the Greeves scrambles series continue, however, as a lasting tribute to his Memory, always the Dave Harper Greeves Championship.

John R
        Last edited by johnrunnacles; 28/08/2023, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Sad news indeed. RIP Dave, you will be missed

Comment

Sad news indeed, he was a good friend. Lots of discussion at the Pre-65 Motocross Club meeting at Maylansea yesterday. Seems to be a strong consensus that the Championship will be continued, as the "Dave Harper Greeves Championship". Logistics to be worked out, of course, but I think there will be no shortage of people willing to help.

Comment

A very sad day at Maylandsea yesterday, riders hiding tears behind their goggles but all proud to be riding under Dave’s name. The current rides including myself will indeed combine along with clubs and friends to ensure Dave’s championship will continue as strongly as ever, Dave Harper will not be forgotten but he will be missed greatly, a gentleman and a friend. RIP Dave

Comment

Phoned Dave last week to check in as i normally do he said he was in terrible pain so i chatted as normal about my diabetics and gangrene also steam engines as we shared notes on that
                also talked bikes when he brightened up a bit and had to go due to a dry cough.

Hes been a grand source of information to me since i was 18 now 53 i have notes on sorting my 250/380 from him and general advice i feel sad my "friend" has now gone and cant be replaced.

Knowing Dave hes already sat next to and chatting to Dave bickers bless him.

gary

Comment

The passing of Dave Harper is very sad. I trust the club will be represented at his funeral. Some very nice tributes on here.

Comment

The date for Dave Harper’s funeral is on Mon 25 Sept at 3.00 PM at Pitsea crematorium with a reception to follow in The Gunn (Local Pub)

Comment

A great send-off for Dave at Basildon Crematorium yesterday with Chapel packed to capacity with family, fellow members of his Greeves fraternity and of the GRA. RIP David John Harper.

Comment

That’s good to hear John, unfortunately Ian, Gary and myself are in Spain and obviously could not attend.

Comment

As John said, there was a great send off for Dave yesterday

This floral tribute was organised by Alan and Nikki Graves, on behalf of the riders in the Greeves Championship series

​This is Dave's Mk1 Challenger, that lived in his front room. It is stunning!

Also at the wake was this bike, brought along by one of Daves former colleagues at Greeves, who worked in the "chicken shed" (aka the competition shop). He told me it has an experimental barrel that Brian Stonebridge was working on - it has removable transfer ports, and a reed valve! Also, when he first assembled it, he found that at TDC the piston protuded out of the top of the barrel. Turns out it is based on a 9E engine but it needed the shorter con-rod from a 150cc Villiers. Not sure why it was made that way.

RIP Dave.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X