The bodges that some people do.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The bodges that some people do.

The current owner of this MDS has posted some pics of the cylinder head attachment on his bike. Obviously a non Villiers head has been 'grafted' onto a standard 32A barrel, the fixing studs/bolts are further out than a Villiers. So looks as though someone has drilled through the fins in the barrel & fitted it with short bolts with nuts and washers, not a good idea as it can break the fins. Anyone know what the head is from?
    Attached Files

I have seen a wooden wedge between the top frame rail and the cylinder head to make up for the stripped head stud on a four stroke.

Comment

That's a version of the screw jack that the late Titch Allen used on (I think) a Triumph twin. He was always of the opinion that bodges (as opposed to botches) were the sign of a creative mind......

Comment

I did an almost identical "expedient repair" on 2 different Rally Cars in 2 different countries within 3 weeks. Both cars had suffered broken steering arms during competition and my services allowed them to get to their service crews for further action. In the first case the arm was replaced and won a pot and prize money, in the second, they tried to weld it. That only led to bigger problems...They were doing about a ton when it broke...

Comment

In my early days of racing my race transporter, you know, you've seen them, wheeled hotels with hydraulic extensions for the servants and a kitchen for your 5 star Michelin chef to prepare your trough.
          I had a Morris Minor 6 cwt van. I has a small servant who doubled as the chef, the Michelin connection was due to the fact that during the week he was tyre fitter.
          It was a Mallory meeting when obviously I had decided my staff could have a well deserved weekend off.
          Races over I exit the circuit to head home.
          Loads of smoke, no power, Morris van objects to any further progress.
          With smoke coming out of the carb I decide that something in the cylinder head has gone. Drain off water, off with its' head. Dropped valve.
          Work tomorrow. remove valve, refit head less spark plug. top up water, drive at 20mph home.
          Later in the week fixed, new valve filed the cut on the piston.
          Great, saw me through the rest of the season.
          Last edited by tonyed27; 26/08/2023, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X