Trials rear wheel spoke layout.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trials rear wheel spoke layout.

Hi, I am in the process of rebuilding a 1963 trials Greeves, it's been used as a "farm bike" for the last 20 odd years and is in a pretty poor state! The wheels are all rusty and the spokes have rotted out. I was hoping to replace them with alloys. The spoke layout on the rear wheel is a bit odd, it's not like the Dot or the Silverstone, it seems to have two dimples facing towards one side with three others in between, (see photo. Can I replace it with a more conventional layout like the Silverstone?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Sorry, forget photo, not sure how to load!

Hi, sorry for tardy reply. The hubsI have are the small steel ones (non paddle) type. Hopefully there is a photo attached which pinpoints the spoke pattern I spoke about. The lines show the dimples which repeat every fourth one.
    The pattern is nothing like other bikes I have!?
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Hi, I have the "pressed steel" hub on the fear of my 1962 TE, does anybody know if this uses the same length spokes as the "paddle" hub?
      Thanks in advance.

Comment

Hi Rusty.

That spoking pattern looks quite usual to me - repeating every 4th spoke. I have the "tin" hub with 18" rim on the rear of my 1958 Hawkstone rolling chassis and can measure the spokes if that would help. This is the page from the parts list:

Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	95680

I assume the shorter spokes are the brake drum side. Unusually (to me) they all have the heads on the outer side.
        Attached Files

Comment

Actually that's a very handy page to have! I have seen spoke sets for sale from reputable firms but advertise them as "for paddle hubs" and was wondering if they would fit?

Comment

It's from the spares price list available from the GRA. Unfortunately the part numbers aren't related to the diagrams in the workshop manual so for instance the various spacers have to be deduced....

Comment

Working...
            X