Increasing number of Greeves for sale on eBay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increasing number of Greeves for sale on eBay

There has recently been a steep increase of Greeves bikes for sale on eBay, currently 21, apart from the long term over priced dealer sales there is an increasing number of private sales, many stating '"lost interest in project" "change of circumstances forces sale" etc etc. So whats going on, many bikes are changing hands after only a short time of ownership, many having several recent owners.

Trying to make ends meet, perhaps? There's a "cost of living crisis" for all but us lucky pensioners, John ............

Comment

Perhaps in a lot of cases people by projects as they appear 'cheap' however as we all know restorations are costly and outweigh the realistic value of the bike. It is easier to sell a cheap project than a good fairly priced bike - ask me how I know.

Comment

Also of course those who bought them for 'investments' only to find that the prices are falling rather than rising as some dealers would have us believe.
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 31/05/2023, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Then there is the "baby-boomer" generation from the immediate post-War years to factor in who were of the right age to get to know and love the Greeves marque in its hey-day. There were a lot of those (including you and me, John?), still are a goodly few, perhaps now "putting their affairs in order?"

Comment

I've "solved" that problem by leaving all my bikes, tools etc to my younger brother in my will. I'm sure he'll have many happy hours sorting through it all!

Comment

Having just restored a 1967 RES Silverstone I know how quickly the old spons are absorbed into something that will not be 'worth' what I have invested in it. Which must be a concern to those to whom the the current recession is impacting. Nice to have a new part for the bike sitting on the dining table but it may not be particularly edible.
              However, those of you who may have restored a TZ Yamaha will know that the Thundersly offering is far less of an assault on the wallet than the Iwata alternative, and I am talking the 250/350 twins. Go to the 500 and if anyone wants the split main bearings for the crank that are, like many parts virtually unobtainable, I do have 7 at ?325 each. A crank rebuild needs 4, without the equally rare outer mains. Out of my league, unfortunately.
              I do love the Silverstone though.
              50 years ago come September I was pushing one (an RDS), down Glencrutchery Road in my first Manx.
              Another factor is perfectly obvious if you attend classic bike shows, we old codgers are only getting older and I am afraid that modern Yoof aint quite so enamored with the old smokers.

Comment

Working...
              X