Frame bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame bolts

Hi.can someone tell be what the thread type was used for greeves frame bolts 1960 Scottish ie bsf or unf or what ever,regards john

Hi john

BSF is the correct thread for your machine. Fit what you can afford. Good luck

Comment

BSF may be difficult to source & expensive, so maybe UNF is the best option both high tensile & stainless and you will retain the imperial (inches) sizes

Comment

Thanks I did notice that bsf was a bit hard to get cheers

Comment

On my Silverstone rebuild, where the bolt goes into a captive thread I've had to use the original BSF threads, all others I've replaced with much cheaper UNF bolts/nuts.
          Spalding Fasteners (ebay) have a good selection of both.
          Some fasteners are cycle thread and BA.

Comment

Try Nookys nuts (might be Nookies) excellent product and priced sensibly Peter.

Comment

I started out trying to use only the original sizes, but have found that in order to get the material/head type/size and quality I wanted I've wound up using a mixture of thread types. However I've used the following suppliers with varying success where the original thread pattern has been essential:

polished-stainless.com
              stainlessmiddleton.co.uk
              stainlessautomotivefastenings.co.uk
              namrick.co.uk
              spaldingfasteners.co.uk

There is one other manufacturer I wouldn't recommend, their products look fantastic, beautifully polished etc., until you try using them and realise that the thread sizes are off.

A lot of recently manufactured BSF fasteners are thread cut . An engineer can correct me if I'm wrong but I think the original fasteners had rolled threads and were stronger.

Comment

Worth reading these specs

Stainless steel, like many other steels, are available in a number of differing grades. A2, A4 and A8 stainless steel. Contact us today.

For fasteners, high tensile steel is some of the best material on offer - and can be found in a number of homes and auto manufacturing. 

Comment

Cheers everyone and John interesting spec

Comment

I used the advice given in the Carrick and Wood book. Shanked metric Allan bolts. But then again I was not fussy about what bolts threads I used as long as they fitted and were suitable for the specific position (correct diameter, correct length, suitable standard, etc ) , a real mish mash of bolts on my machine.
                    John

Comment

Yes I know the score here. My just about finished 24 RES has:
                      BSF
                      Whitworth
                      Cycle Thread
                      BA
                      UNF
                      Metric

I even bought a new set of AF and BSF/Whitworth combination spanners.

Comment

What, no triple-start Latvian? Lightweight.

Comment

Working...
                        X