Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tabernas desert

Hi,
    has anyone rode the Tabernas desert trails in Spain ? I am considering taking my Greeves Challenger scrambler, unfortunately as it is an out, and out scrambles machine (no lights, no registration, in fact no documentation at all I wonder if there are criteria in place which would allow me to ride the bike.
    Also another problem would be getting my bike over the channel, on the back of my motorhome if I need insurance for the bike?, difficult when there is no documentation (A PROBLEM) I think
    Any advise would be appreciated
    Pete

You clearly have not done a search, Peter! There is a thread with the same title as yours under 'Events'....

Specifically, the trails are public roads. You will need a fully road-legal machine. It needs lights and silencer. You will also need to fit a spark arrestor to be legal whilst riding off-road in Spain.

Have you considered insurance, if you were for example to collide with a local? You won't get that on your scrambler. In order to access the trails you will need to ride to them on tarmac roads.

Also, when you take the machine into the country you will be asked to show your registration document. Likewise when you leave. No V5 and you are stuffed. These are not just customs officers, they are armed Guardia Civil, devoid of a sense of humour!

Forget taking your scrambler, and take a machine which is fully road registered and legal.

Comment

Another point which occurred to me, is that it sounds as though you will be riding alone. To ride off-road on your own would be against all advice, whichever country you are in.

Comment

Any competition bike will require a carnet, the cost is roughly ?350. Very few Brits were at the Spa Classic last year I believe. Only viable if you were doing several race or parades in a year, for me to do one Coupes de Moto Legendes at Dijon would mean spending ?1000+ so not viable.
        As Ian says , a road bike with a V5 is the only way. A friend did some trail riding in Southern Spain with a firm over there and most of the trails were linked with road sections, he covered 450 miles in a week.

Comment

Here you go Peter - just what you need and same model Gary was riding in and out of the Tabernas desert - road registered and excellent condition, up for sale

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ifield1.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	93181

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6419.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	536.5 KB
ID:	93182

Comment

Gary reckoned the 3.50 x 19" front wheel, as fitted to the US West Coast models such as Tony's TFS Trail here, came into it's own in the soft sandy stuff, where the narrower 2.75 x 21" might dig in.

Comment

I am changing the Orange Ranger front wheel to a 3.50 x19 as I think they are more 'planted' - we will know on the next trip to Avila

Comment

Hi Peter. We haven't heard back from you. Were the various contributions, made in response to your enquiry, of benefit to you? It is always good to know.....

Comment

Working...
                X