24MCS frame number Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24MCS frame number Query

Hello All, I'm just looking at a 24MCS and its frame number is 24MCS/2/1160 - I had not seen a number with the /2/ in the middle like that, is it something anyone recognises? I was looking to try and date the bike to be sure when it was made. It has the full width alloy hubs, 34A motor and later forks with one piece swinging arm. Thanks, Jonathan

/2/ is designation for the US export model with rolling chassis built to the UK MDS spec but originally with 19" front wheel, Jonathan.

Comment

Was on eBay a year ago https://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/fo...-mcs-hawkstone

Comment

Presently back on eBay, gentlemen. Still with Vale-Onslow barrel. No bids so far from starting bid of £3250.
        Last edited by johnrunnacles; 07/06/2022, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Hi John and John,, Thanks for the quick reply, so, a US spec eh? So its an MCS-Hawkstone and has probably been re-imported from the US? Are we able to tie down the year of build or do the records not include the US machines in the same way? Thanks again, Jonathan

Comment

I wouldn't say it is a US spec machine, just that it was originally exported to either the US, or to Australia, where some ended up, and has at some point in the past been re-imported. It now looks very much in UK spec, like an MDS, although, as John W previously pointed out, it would have had a Greeves alloy barrel & head originally, which would be better than the iron Vale-Onslow one imo; although others may disagree!

As for year of manufacture/registration, it has a 'B' suffix, indicated 1964, and if it was dated by the club dating officer, then that is what it is, so no worries on that score. Not that you would be riding it far on the road with those tyres! Also, it doesn't run properly. I would bin that Mk1 Concentric and fit a Monobloc, as it would have had originally. The swinging arm is quite badly dented; I wonder if it is straight? Scramblers bend easily. I would check everything is in line before buying it. Ask me how I know.....

Btw, I think the 19" wheel was on the west-coast US spec bike, the east coast ones retaining the 21".

Ian C.
            Last edited by IanCordes; 08/06/2022, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnrunnacles View Post
              Presently back on eBay, gentlemen. Still with Vale-Onslow barrel. No bids so far from starting bid of £3250.
              Now moved on to Swindon from Lincs https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275335784...EAAOSwy8timQQu
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
                I wouldn't say it is a US spec machine, just that it was originally exported to either the US, or to Australia, where some ended up, and has at some point in the past been re-imported. It now looks very much in UK spec, like an MDS, although, as John W previously pointed out, it would have had a Greeves alloy barrel & head originally, which would be better than the iron Vale-Onslow one imo; although others may disagree!

As for year of manufacture/registration, it has a 'B' suffix, indicated 1964, and if it was dated by the club dating officer, then that is what it is, so no worries on that score. Not that you would be riding it far on the road with those tyres! Also, it doesn't run properly. I would bin that Mk1 Concentric and fit a Monobloc, as it would have had originally. The swinging arm is quite badly dented; I wonder if it is straight? Scramblers bend easily. I would check everything is in line before buying it. Ask me how I know.....

Btw, I think the 19" wheel was on the west-coast US spec bike, the east coast ones retaining the 21".

Ian C.
                Hi Ian, Thanks for the extra detail, that's great! I agree that a square alloy barrel is nicer . Good spot on the dented swinging arm.

Thanks again, Jonathan

Comment

Vale Onslow barrel (iron) qualifies for the competition for an additional trophy within the Greeves scrambles championship, gents, without sacrifice of bhp .........
                  Last edited by johnrunnacles; 09/06/2022, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X