Mike Worthington-Williams has passed away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Worthington-Williams has passed away

Although never a Greeves owner himself, Mike WW was a contributor to Old Bike Mart, and did in his time have a few bikes (he once sold my dad a 1920s Monopole). He was also formerly involved with vehicle dating for the DVLA, not to mention all his time with Sothebys and Bonhams the auction houses.

I got the news yesterday that he had passed away in hospital although I do not know much more than that.

My mum and Mike's wife Pam were best friends at school, so I have known the family well all my life. We used to visit their place in Wales and it was never boring. There are few people I've met in life that managed to fit so much into their life as Mike did. He was one of the kindest hearted people you could meet, had a sharp sense of humour and was an absolute walking library of information on the history of the motorcar.

It's a huge loss - there will be no more like him.

Mike's family are of course devastated, so my thoughts are with them.

A sad loss. Mike in his days as a DVLA authenticator recovered many bike, (and other vehicles) registration numbers, always went the extra mile to get them, sometimes visiting DVLA offices.and 'banging the table' His monthly columns in OBM Uneathed and Feedback will be missed

Comment

That is very sad news. As you say Ian, there will never be another like him. I hope that Morton's Media will do the right thing and publish a detailed obituary in OBM ideally, although it would take several pages.

My condolences to his family and friends.

RIP Mike W.W.

Comment

I worked in Croydon with Mike’s son ‘StJohn’ for a few years around 2008 - 2011 (I think?). After StJohn spotted me reading his Dad’s OBM column in the office we struck up a long conversation & I soon became awestruck with stories of his family life growing up in a motoring fraternity. I also heard about his friendship and connection with GRA chairman Rob, thinking.. blimey what a small world it is!
        The last time we chatted was when I saw MWW had gained an MBE, as was reported in OBM during 2018 (see attached).

My sincerest condolences to MWWs family & all that knew him, a huge loss to motoring and knowledge of a bygone age.

KR
        john9700
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I have only heard this evening from Linda, Robs wife about the loss of Willy who I met a couple of times that he came to Sussex to stay with Rob and Linda , he was very knowledgeable in all things not just transport and all that goes with it Rob used to spend several days in Wales each year with Willy and his wife. it is a sad week as we lost Rob a year ago now, this coming weekend such a sad year for most of us i am sure .

Comment

Not the best of weeks for my mum, it's true.

One of Mike's interests was researching all the little back street motorcar companies from the earlier part of the 20th century. His knowledge was substantial, there wasn't much he didn't know about vintage and veteran cars, I don't think.

Comment

Working...
            X