Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's this Challenger, does anyone recall coming across it? last seen Cheshire '78?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's this Challenger, does anyone recall coming across it? last seen Cheshire '78?

Click image for larger version  Name:	9fOiJNGrQPmMowYQdMcSww.jpg Views:	0 Size:	560.5 KB ID:	84910Click image for larger version  Name:	0n3t%dekQMKSZQDI8JIFiA.jpg Views:	0 Size:	542.2 KB ID:	84909Click image for larger version  Name:	8pZu0s%TTjabwnr2ZE4FQQ.jpg Views:	0 Size:	525.5 KB ID:	84908

Do you have a frame number?

Comment

John C (druid) is probably best placed to tell you what it is, John. I would guess it's a bit of a hybrid ............. MX2 perhaps, with later forks and mudguards? Whoever has had it since may have restored it in its original "factory" finish, of course?

Comment

Thanks John, I'll contact JC - some people have suggested to me it looks like an MX3 1966 shorter original wheel base model with a modified straightened rear hoop? But has anyone ever come across it ?
        Last edited by John macleod; 13/11/2020, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Hi John W, Sorry I dont I only remember a 2 and an X - I think but could be mistaken - It was a long time ago! Came from a guy in Birmingham with an amzing F1 type garage under his house. He looked just like Gerry Adams (hope I'm allowed to say that), same build with a beard. He'd totally rebuilt it - the engine worked for 3 years with only an oil change and the odd spark plug.

Comment

The guys who bought it from us were 2 brothers with their dad, they had an old ambulance to collect it in Cheshire. I did hear Iain Bain had something similar - anyone know if that's true because he lived about 10 miles away

Comment

Is that a younger John Macleod astride it in the photo?

Comment

Hi John, hope allis good,

Yep that's me - a young 15 year old with a new toy - it was Anglian signal red - the pics have faded over 40 plus years

Regarding its provenance - A very helpful answer from the Druid as follows:

The bike is a combination of parts as was usually the case.

The banana airbox was used on the MX1 and 2,

banana forks didn't appear until the MX3.

I reckon that it is probably an MX2.

I can't remember any bikes having that red colour. I've no doubt a few bikes could have been made in red unofficially but they would have been signal red same as the Anglian.

I can't help in identifying who would have built it.

Many thanks John

Comment

Thanks John .............. and John!

Lucky you, John, to have had such a nice toy to play with at 15! I just had a push-bike (with knobbly tyres fitted, though!)

John #3!
                  Last edited by johnrunnacles; 15/11/2020, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Hi John,
                    Ha Ha yes, I was a very lucky guy, amazing parents too and I'm still very grateful ! My frst bike was a Bantam D3 in a box of bits- for I think £20 -we got that going and so my dad bought me that one after I started getting Ok at trials but wanted to race my friend around the farmers field, we went through a Honda 50, Cb175 and then my friend got a very early Suzuki- it was about 1979 so prob worth something now.Still would love to find my Greeves.
                    Sorry for late reply.
                    I just ordered some alloy rims and galvanised spokes for the new one.
                    Hope all is good
                    kind regards J

Comment

All good, thanks John.
                      In my case, parents never had enough money so I needed to leave school early to make my own way into bike ownership, and then only as a means of transport to work. First bike was an old(ish) Norman twin with Anzani engine, bought because it vaguely resembled a Greeves with its leading link forks .............. and I couldn't find a Greeves that was within my budget.
                      Good luck sorting the Challenger wheel rebuilds. It'll look the bees-knees when it's finished!
                      Take care.
                      JR

Comment

Working...
                      X