Green(brown)laning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green(brown)laning

Morning my friend and I decided to try a greenlane we hadnt done before,there are plenty of lanes near us on the N Yorks moors and wolds,and this is what we were presented with.Selfish idiots in 4x4s have destroyed the lane some of the ruts were 40cms deep and in some places it was barely passable on foot.We managed to get my Greeves and Bantam through but it took 40 mins to negotiate 2km,we all love to ride country lanes and somestimes offroad but unless people are responsible the local councils will close them.
    David Click image for larger version

Name:	C606DC29-685C-450A-82B3-B31EAD28A646.jpeg
Views:	164
Size:	355.4 KB
ID:	84574

Always been a problem! If it wasn't 4x4s driving by the fleet load, you could get caught by the modern farm equipment being moved with similar results.

Comment

Morning Brian,I could almost accept the damage done by agricultural vehicles as they are out earning a living but the width of the tracks and the tread marks shows that this damage was done by 4x4s.
      David

Comment

Having owned 4x4 vehicles almost all my driving life, I have enjoyed Green Laning in them, but when it comes to the deliberate actions of those who deliberately get themselves into winch recovery situations and cause much damage to the ground, I will condemn their actions completely. There are now plenty of Off-Road sites to do that kind of activity. AS far as the agricultural side of things are concerned, yes, I agree, they are there to earn their living, but making a lane undriveable for others is bad practice. They should be prepared to re-instate.

Comment

One fairly local to me used to be a real mess, then the council covered it in tarmac, now appears to only used by farmers to access their fields. I have only ever walked it, but in its carved up state I would not have liked to ride on a modern trials bike the ruts were so deep.
          One track in the Peak District, which was in a very bad state, now has a total ban, except two occasions a year when the local trials club are allowed to use it for a pair of very long standing events, so the off road fraternity does get listened to at times. There are plenty of old quarries in the Peak District that ought to be used to provide off road venues for both 4 wheeled and 2 wheeled vehicles but nobody appears to be willing to take up the challenge.
          John

Comment

Working...
          X