Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Gordon Blair-RIP.

Just came across this over here...

Dr. Gordon Blair who developed the 380 QUB has passed.

I remember Nick Nicholson having a young new rider named Rick Brown who won many races for Nick in the highly competitive Southern California motocross circuit riding a extremely quick gold 380 QUB.

R.I.P. Mr. Blair, you made the 380 really fly!

Kenny Sykes
    USA
    Attached Files

Dr Gordon Blair, 1937-2010. R.I.P.

Hi Kenny.......what sad news indeed......

The tributes are already flooding in from all over the world.

Here are a couple of links for those given so far. I'm sure there will be many more to come...

Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
      Hi Kenny.......what sad news indeed......

The tributes are already flooding in from all over the world.

Here are a couple of links for those given so far. I'm sure there will be many more to come...

Brian.
      Hi Brian,

Thanks for posting.

Can any ex-employee's or riders give us any inside info on working with Dr. Blair?

I was thrilled to read as a youngster the work he was doing for the Greeves 380.

Kenny

Comment

Originally posted by Bearingman View Post
        Just came across this over here...

Dr. Gordon Blair who developed the 380 QUB has passed.

I remember Nick Nicholson having a young new rider named Rick Brown who won many races for Nick in the highly competitive Southern California motocross circuit riding a extremely quick gold 380 QUB.

R.I.P. Mr. Blair, you made the 380 really fly!

Kenny Sykes
        USA

Found this crusty 1972 photo of Rick Brown flying his 380 QUB. Rick was the last of the Nicholson Motors supported riders and the end of the Greeves dynasty in the USA.

Kenny Sykes
        USA
        Attached Files

Comment

Flying is the word!

What a fantastic pic Kenny, and thanks for posting it! That boy could sure ride a bike! Shame that it also marked the 'end of an era', as you say.

With Dr Blair's passing, and the end of two-strokes in MotoGP at the end of 2012, maybe we are witnessing the end of another.....

Brian.

Comment

The Griffon Era and Dr Blair.

Here's a few more pics for you Kenny, spanning the Griffon era and following the first models competition debut at Thirsk (UK) in 1968 (as far as I know!.)

Pic 1; Vic Allan on a 380, heading into orbit (!) at the Swedish 500GP in 1970.

Pic 2; The end of the line.....a 380 QUB Mark II on the production line at the Greeves factory in 1977. (I wonder if anyone can please identify the gentleman in the photograph?)

Pic 3; The 380 QUB Mark II. Developing around 44 bhp from it's iron linered alloy cylinder with a single bridged exhaust port, the gearbox was the Greeves designed 4-speeder. As Villiers (and Albion) were nearing the end of production, the 'all Greeves' engine was the factory's answer. Of course, Dr Gordon Blair of Queens University Belfast) assisted with the design of the engine (hence QUB), and he also designed the exhaust system using computer modelling techniques. This was a far cry from the old (and extremely time consuming) 'do the sums, weld it up and wack it on the dyno' approach which was pretty much the only way available prior to Dr Blairs pioneering innovations (see; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...read.php?t=554 ). Yamaha were also to benefit from Dr Blairs ground breaking research, even on their 'factory' machines, where he was able to find considerable power gains using his techniques.

Pics 4 and 5; A couple of QUB mark II's that I photographed at Battlesbridge in 2009, one a well used and very original looking 'old warrior', and the other a beautifully restored example I spotted in the Pre65MX club's marquee.

QUB Mark II's were also used by the Royal Artillery Motor Cycle Display Team, chosen for their ability to withstand the extended punishment encountered during extensive 'trick riding' demonstrations.

For those interested in reading about the more technical aspects of Dr Blair's work, try and seek out a copy of his now out-of-print book, 'The Basic Design of Two Stroke Engines' (G.P Blair : 1990 : ISBN: 1-56091-008-9)

Brian.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Brian Thompson; 18/11/2010, 11:36 AM. Reason: Pics added.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
              Here's a few more pics for you Kenny, spanning the Griffon era and following the first models competition debut at Thirsk (UK) in 1968 (as far as I know!.)

Pic 1; Vic Allan on a 380, heading into orbit (!) at the Swedish 500GP in 1970.

Pic 2; The end of the line.....a 380 QUB Mark II on the production line at the Greeves factory in 1977. (I wonder if anyone can please identify the gentleman in the photograph?)

Pic 3; The 380 QUB Mark II. Developing around 44 bhp from it's iron linered alloy cylinder with a single bridged exhaust port, the gearbox was the Greeves designed 4-speeder. As Villiers (and Albion) were nearing the end of production, the 'all Greeves' engine was the factory's answer. Of course, Dr Gordon Blair of Queens University Belfast) assisted with the design of the engine (hence QUB), and he also designed the exhaust system using computer modelling techniques. This was a far cry from the old (and extremely time consuming) 'do the sums, weld it up and wack it on the dyno' approach which was pretty much the only way available prior to Dr Blairs pioneering innovations (see; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...read.php?t=554 ). Yamaha were also to benefit from Dr Blairs ground breaking research, even on their 'factory' machines, where he was able to find considerable power gains using his techniques.

Pics 4 and 5; A couple of QUB mark II's that I photographed at Battlesbridge in 2009, one a well used and very original looking 'old warrior', and the other a beautifully restored example I spotted in the Pre65MX club's marquee.

QUB Mark II's were also used by the Royal Artillery Motor Cycle Display Team, chosen for their ability to withstand the extended punishment encountered during extensive 'trick riding' demonstrations.

For those interested in reading about the more technical aspects of Dr Blair's work, try and seek out a copy of his now out-of-print book, 'The Basic Design of Two Stroke Engines' (G.P Blair : 1990 : ISBN: 1-56091-008-9)

Brian.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for posting those pics! I am always looking for the Vic Allan, Wade, Browning and Clayton pics.

Would the gentleman standing next to the QUB MKII be Brian Gilroy?

Are there any pictures out there with Dick Clayton on the QUB?

Regards,
              Kenny

Comment

Kenny,

The chap standing next to the Griffon was Tony Cobb (PA Cobb) who was responsible for sales (when we sold some!).

The Mk 2 Griffon hung about like a bad smell, I was tempted myself but it meant carrying a step ladder around.

Gordon Blair was a brilliant theoretical engineer who was probably the first to utilise the vast computing power then becoming available, however he wasn't what I would term "an old school engineer". However I never met the man so this came from those who did - hearsay again.

Druid

Comment

Dr Blair and the Griffon etc.

Thanks for the very interesting info Druid, as always.

It's wonderful to be able to hear it from those who were actually there.

Thanks for posting.

Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by druid View Post
                    Kenny,

The chap standing next to the Griffon was Tony Cobb (PA Cobb) who was responsible for sales (when we sold some!).

The Mk 2 Griffon hung about like a bad smell, I was tempted myself but it meant carrying a step ladder around.

Gordon Blair was a brilliant theoretical engineer who was probably the first to utilise the vast computing power then becoming available, however he wasn't what I would term "an old school engineer". However I never met the man so this came from those who did - hearsay again.

Druid
                    Hi Druid,

It's always great to get the inside scoop on this stuff from you!

Yep, that MKII looks like nose bleed potential, it sure sits high.

Thanks as always!
                    Kenny

Comment

Dr Blairs QUB exhaust design

Hi Kenny - You will love this .....
                      Just been working on a new design for an exhaust system for my QUB - using latest 21st century porting software which basically matches ports to pipes or vica versa

.......and have hit a snag with the project.........When I modelled the ideal stage 1 pipe design for the QUB.......I came up with er well - my current exhaust!!! an exact match !!

That is an amazing testament to Dr Blair and his intellect and skill- that his design cannot be bettered 40 years later !!

So anybody wanting to improve on the QUB - keep your £ in your pocket and just enjoy the broad tractable power that Dr Blair delivered.
                      Cheers Kim

Comment

QUB Exhaust

Kim,
                        I understand what you're saying and appreciate your sentiments but let's stand back a moment.
                        I don't know what software your running so I can't comment on that, what I do find amazing is your apparent revelation that Greeves actually got it right!
                        All manufacturers were faced with making a product that was useable by the customer, i.e. clubman. In the 60's and 70's various manufacturers made "fire engines" capable of delivering more hersepower than the rider or rest of the bike could handle (Greeves 500!). Fine for some works riders but not Mr Average.
                        The Greeves engine builders that I know and respect leave port timing and exhausts alone but build them correctly, something I always advise riders when I am asked.
                        As for giving Gordon Blair all the credit for the QUB, well, I don't necessarily hold the popular view. I do believe that Gordon learnt as much about 2 stroke engines in the MX world from Greeves as they did from him about advanced computer aided flow dynamics.

Druid

Comment

Hi Druid,
                          I think Greeves with the QUB engine got it very right in terms of an early 70's 2-stroke relative to what was known and the competition in the 70's.
                          That is clear to anybody who races a Greeves QUB who has also ridden the competition bikes .....Simply the Greeves QUB broad spread of power delivery makes it a great bike to race. As you say there are other bikes out there that rev faster and have a harder top end power band - but they are also hard on the rider.

The amazing bit for me is that when tested vs 21st century data - the exhaust design still holds good and clearly the combination of Greeves and Dr Blair worked well.
                          Cheers Kim

Comment

Without any real knowledge of the software and it's heritage, could it be that it was written by an associate of Gordon, thus mirroring his findings with the QUB?
                            i.e. software written from practical, rather than from theory?

Comment

Originally posted by Kim275 View Post
                              Hi Kenny - You will love this .....
                              Just been working on a new design for an exhaust system for my QUB - using latest 21st century porting software which basically matches ports to pipes or vica versa

.......and have hit a snag with the project.........When I modelled the ideal stage 1 pipe design for the QUB.......I came up with er well - my current exhaust!!! an exact match !!

That is an amazing testament to Dr Blair and his intellect and skill- that his design cannot be bettered 40 years later !!

So anybody wanting to improve on the QUB - keep your £ in your pocket and just enjoy the broad tractable power that Dr Blair delivered.
                              Cheers Kim
                              Hi Kim.

A great read from you...This is a quote from a USA magazine on the QUB..." The Greeves motor produces the most controllable power of any 500 class two-stroke today (1974). Torque is what the motor is built upon." "It's a simple matter to keep the rear wheel pumping right at the edge of wheel spin"

Maybe I should unleash my QUB again??

Kenny

Comment

Working...
                              X