Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping Costs for a restoration ?

Hi everyone

I'm stringently obeying the lock down rules with the family in a flat in central London so I can't get to the bike in Essex (but she was fired up last week and the video was very refreshing), so I'm now dreaming of a restoration.

Does anyone know how much it costs to ship a single bike from; for example, the East coast (eg New York), the West coast (eg Los Angeles) or mid America (eg Colorado) to the UK?

And do you pay import duties and Vat?

Stay safe and good luck everyone.

Kind regards John
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John macleod; 25/04/2020, 08:58 PM.

Hi John,

I shipped a bike (Yamaha) from Asia and the costs on that side were about £500 I think, but US would be very different. Best bet would be to contact some shipping companies and ask for a quote. Be absolutely sure that any quote includes ALL local (UK) charges too.

I would suggest you find a freight forwarder on the UK side to handle things for you - I would strongly recommend Penguin Shipping who were immensely helpful. The fees can stack up on this side too so again it's worth making sure you have everything confirmed. I think this side I paid about £200, not including duties.

Regarding import duties and VAT, I did pay this as I wanted a NOVA (notification of vehicle arrival) certificate so that I could get it registered with the DVLA. I'm not sure where the law lies regarding shipping in a crate of spares, if it is a bike that is for competition usage only and won't be road registered. By this I mean I don't know where HMRC draws the line between bike parts and a motor vehicle.

If the bike originated in the UK, for example if it was originally road registered here and then went overseas, and now is coming back, I think it is possible to bring it in without paying the duties. but I'm not sure. If it was a bike shipped overseas as an export then not sure.

Another option would be to contact a company that brings in bikes to sell and see if they could add it to one of their shipments.

Comment

Hi Ian,

Thank you, that's useful.

I hope you are well and surviving lockdown.

I did contact a number of shippers today but nothong so far.

I agree that using a UK based shipper could be lower cost.

I hadn't considered the idea that potential import duties and VAT on an exported bike (from the UK) could potentially be reduced or waved when returning it back home.

I'll look into that.

Thank you.

Looking forwrad to seeing you on that special MX4 of yours.

Take care

Kind regards John

Comment

For information,

The first quote is $690 but that's from New jersey to Felixstowe.

Regards J

Comment

Hi John, sounds about what I'd expect. It'd be good to hear how it all works out if you go ahead with it, as occasionally interesting Greeves come up for sale in the US.

As for my MX4, that's a little way down the queue but either that or the Griffon will make an appearance once things are back to 'normal'.

Comment

Hi Ian,
            Thanks,
            Yes, that's about what I expected, I saw a nice MX5 in the States but it has gone.
            No worries, there will be something better along soon (red MX2 or 3)?.
            I also have a 24MX4 frame to build a greeves bike to race (for my son).
            I'm waiting for it to arrive but the guy is looking for the gearbox cradle and swinging arm and spindle. All fairly critical.
            Then I'll need need MX4 wheels, seat and forks. Exciting times!
            Good luck with the queue.
            Ever considered organising a series of GRA videos (like the one by Sammy Millar on stripping an engine) from those in the know on how to strip your bike and rebuild (apologies I didnt mean to go off -piste)?
            Kind regards John

Comment

Working...
            X