Mystery 'Silverstone' in LL August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery 'Silverstone' in LL August

I have been able to identify the mystery 'Silverstone' 627 XUP that Richard Brown saw at Tadley. It is in fact a 24DB frame (number 60/2553) that would have originally had a 32A single. So not a Silverstone 60/2553 was dispatched to Peter Watkins, of Southend and was one of a batch thet were supplied to Southend Water Company with VHJ*** registration numbers
    (Pics Richard Brown)

See more on the Southend Water Co bikes on this thread https://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/fo...company-20dc-s
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 03/08/2019, 08:57 PM.

I saw the bike at a pub meet last week when I arrived on my 25(32)DC and was told the same story. He said it had started life as a Silverstone but went back to the factory for alterations. The factory certainly would not have put that front brake on it. I noticed it had a 1960 frame number but did not want to upset the owner by telling him it could not be a Silverstone.

Brian .

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Magee View Post
      I saw the bike at a pub meet last week when I arrived on my 25(32)DC and was told the same story. He said it had started life as a Silverstone but went back to the factory for alterations. The factory certainly would not have put that front brake on it. I noticed it had a 1960 frame number but did not want to upset the owner by telling him it could not be a Silverstone.

Brian .
      Just a humble water company meter readers bike

Comment

Looks a bit "style over substance". Interesting the way the front brake is mounted. Cranked anchor arms and what looks like only one shoe connected on the left side. I might be interpreting the photo incorrectly but I'm not sure I'd want to ride it......even with half a dozen horsepower on tap.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinLS View Post
          Looks a bit "style over substance". Interesting the way the front brake is mounted. Cranked anchor arms and what looks like only one shoe connected on the left side. I might be interpreting the photo incorrectly but I'm not sure I'd want to ride it......even with half a dozen horsepower on tap.
          Quite. The anchor arm should go INSIDE the fork and also be on 'floating' bushes (as with the alloy BH), not bolted rigidly as this one has. A disaster waiting to happen. The bike is on SORN and not insured (according to ASKMID) so it does not look as though its being ridden, just a show bike. The other worrying thing is that as the bike does not need an MoT this fault will not be found and if and when the bike is taxed and ridden disaster awaits.
          If anyone sees this bike at a future show they should inform the owner and maybe encourage him to join the GRA where he can get further advice. Clearly a lot of effort has gone into building this bike but as it appears lack of knowledge on leading link braking systems.
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 04/08/2019, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X