swinging arm chain oiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swinging arm chain oiler

I have one of these on my Hawkstone frame I cant find much about them I am using the frame on the road is the oiling system effective? there is a fitting at the correct position on the LH underside is there a jet there ? were there any modifications commonly carried out to alter the flow or is it OK as standard? how much oil does it use?

Its just a simple device. The swinging arm tube acts as a reservoir and the oil is applied to chain by the metering screw via a rubber or plastic tube onto chain. The amount of oil is dependent on the metering screw setting. Works well but can result in excess oil being thrown around over tyre. Really designed for trials use where the chain is subject to water washing off the lubricant. For road use only minimal use is required. Just a mile or so and the turn it off, and of course if you dont turn it off after a ride it will continue to drip oil and make a mess on you garage/shed floor. Not sure what the capacity is, but less than a pint.
    Frankly there are aerosol chain sprays these days that do a better job of lubrication. If you still plan to use the chain oiler then best to use a high viscosity oil like that sold for chain saws.
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 11/01/2019, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X