Fibreglass repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fibreglass repairs

Anyone know where to get ethanol proof fibreglass resin? No point repairing my tank with the same stuff as it was made from if its going to melt!

Much better to source a new tank from Roger Ennis 2 Yew Tree Cottages The Tufts, Bream, Lydney, GL15 6HN Tel 01594 562361
    He makes them in modern ethanol proof materials. Waste of time to try repairing an old tank that has become contaminated with two stroke oil

Comment

As John says, you won't be able to seal a fibreglass tank which has been used for 2-stroke. Neither can you repair one if the ethanol has already started to attack it.

Comment

The point of the repair is to keep the original tank...…. Its a loose tap that is the problem.

Comment

Peter according to your other post you said you wanted another tank to use and just keep the original for show purposes
          So why not order a new one from Roger and at the same time seek his advice about repair of the original
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 02/01/2019, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Cost! New one very good idea but I have to spend the bike allowance very carefully- VMCC race meetings are £200 plus!

Comment

Thing is Peter, the way things are these days on eBay etc you could end up paying as much or more than a new one for a 40 year old load of 'patinared' rubbish. I dont know what Roger charges for a tank but someone I know bought an Essex one from him a few years ago and it was a very reasonable price, less that £200 I would think, so missing one VMCC race meeting would pay for it
              Of course it would need painting, but would be in modern materials. No brainer really.
              Last edited by John Wakefield; 02/01/2019, 07:52 PM.

Comment

I've used tank care products (Norwich) on my Armstrong trials bike and it is still good after a year and the tank was quite badly melted in places. It take quite a while to mix and swill it around then over a week on the radiator indoors for it to cure but for me it was definitely worth it

Comment

Its already lined with Wyldes tank liner- I do not think it had been used since before ethanol petrol came in & was washed out to their spec. The problem is one tap fitting is loose, so I intend to cut it out & replace it, do not mind the repair as it cannot be seen underneath, but I can't use normal fibreglass resin, hence the query.

Comment

There is one other more permanent solution that will retain the original tank look. That is to cut out the bottom of the tank, have an alloy internal tank made to fit inside c/w filler and tap outlet, then fibreglass the bottom of the tank back in place. The only downside to this is that you will loose a bit of capacity but presumably this would only be 1/2 a litre or so if liner follows closely the internal shape of the fibreglass molding. Former GRA member Ralph Mynn did this with an Essex, and I think others have also done it. Just requires a good sheet metal basher and welder. As the inner tank is not seen there is no need for a polished dent free finish, just needs to be leak proof. Peter if you want Ralph's contact details I can PM them to you.

Comment

Working...
                    X