photo library.....Not the Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• photo library.....Not the Book

I always find it frustrating trolling the internet looking for good pictures of certain models for reference.
    It can take up a lot of time & most of the results you get are questionable, so i was thinking, prehaps it would be a good idea, to have an online photographic record of each model.
    Something, someone can look up & see quickly what it should look like, just one bike of each variant, as close to original as it needs to be.
    I don`t know how it can be done, but something where you can click on a model & view possibly 10 shots of the bike from different angles.
    Most of the bikes relavant, are owned by the gra members, so what do people think, i know it would help most of the enquires that are directed towards the forum.

Sounds a good idea to me Dave, a computer wizard out there somewhere should be able to sort it

Comment

Photo reference library

Hi all
      Quite obviously and to a large degree Colin S has obliged us with his fine book - however I see your point for definitive (electronic) reference material to be created, and endorsed by the GRA hierarchy.

As a suggestion, would uploading the old B&W factory shots be a worthy starting point to begin the portfolio? Also bear in mind some contention with using later photos - as members may have adapted, modded or used pattern items on their machines to suit modern requirements.

Regards
      John9700

Comment

Hi Dave
        I think this is a very good suggestion as I have found it hard when trying to locate good photos of bike I wanted to restore
        I away say to myself can't see the bit I want
        Gary

Comment

Originally posted by john9700 View Post
          Hi all
          Quite obviously and to a large degree Colin S has obliged us with his fine book - however I see your point for definitive (electronic) reference material to be created, and endorsed by the GRA hierarchy.

As a suggestion, would uploading the old B&W factory shots be a worthy starting point to begin the portfolio? Also bear in mind some contention with using later photos - as members may have adapted, modded or used pattern items on their machines to suit modern requirements.

Regards
          John9700
          Hi John, Colins book does not cover what i was suggesting, which was for members, who own a specific accurate model, to be able to upload pictures, of various shots of the bike, ie lots of different angles.
          This would enable anyone looking for certain information on what went where to be able to see at a glance how it was.
          Only needs one of each model & if it is deemed not to be accurate enough, then it can be removed.
          I was not suggesting a factual account of each model, as is colins book, more of an aid to reference detail of said machines.

Comment

The B&W factory photos has to be a good place to start. I like the idea of including detail specific shots.

Would the collection be limited to original bikes?

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Hyde View Post
              The B&W factory photos has to be a good place to start. I like the idea of including detail specific shots.

Would the collection be limited to original bikes?
              I agree with you.The factory photographs are the most important even though they may be different to production models.Later rebuilds could be added as well.It might save a lot of buying the wrong parts which we all have done.

Comment

I know it doesn't address the issue here, but I always find this useful when checking specs generally.

Motorcycle Specifications Overviews and Road Tests

Comment

I think its basically a good idea but the bikes selected would need to be checked out for being exactly as they left the factory. Even the best restorations have a few mods or deviations from standard. (ie electronic ignition, alloy or stainless rims in place of chrome etc etc. Also paint work (demarcation of paint colours on roadster tanks for example) the shape of gold line separating the blue from silver can vary tremendously between bikes.
                  But of course these minor details are only really the concern of the showbike, rivet counter type owner, I think we need to encourage the owner who is going to ride and use his bike rather than trailer queens. So 'acceptable' mods need to be included.
                  Last edited by John Wakefield; 01/10/2018, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X