Griffon clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griffon clutch

Hi, I'm having problems with the clutch,I've spent hours trying to adjust the clutch,I can't get into gear without grating and when riding and I stop it doesn't disengage[feels like an automatic car in drive]. Having tried adjusting as per recommendations,the straw I'm clutching at is that the clutch lever on the handlebar is cranked and I feel that it touches the grip before giving enough movement. Should the levers be cranked on the Griffon? or any suggestions. Many thanks....................starider

starider, the problem you have is that the clutch is dragging, ie the plates are not seperating enough to break the drive.
    Firstly, you must start with the mechanical condition of the clutch itself.......do the bronze plates have burrs to the edges of the locating tangs?, & the same with the slots in the clutch basket itself!
    If so, file off all the burrs & true up the edges of the clutch basket & then check your clutch plates for distortion etc, what oil are you using? atf or a light weight oil is all you require.
    Assuming everthing else is not worn, rebuild it then adjust the clutch until you have a small amount of freeplay on the push rod.
    At this point, you should be able to engage a gear & pull the clutch in & the kick start should slip.
    Forget about cranked levers etc, if the clutch does not break cleanly with an standard lever, then you have further issues. hope this helps.....

Comment

Hi Dave, thanks for that,are the standard levers cranked? Will try ATF .If all else fails I'll strip the clutch. If I should need new parts which/who is the best supplier? Thanks again...............starider

Comment

I have a similar problem, my clutch suffers from "stiction" fine when running but a b****** at first, so I have left the bike with a cable tie holding the clutch in since last use & it is free when kicked over- seems as if it should work, have not yet tried running the bike, but an easy thing to do. Peter.

Comment

Working...
        X