Stolen Greeves Recovered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stolen Greeves Recovered

West Midlands Police have been in touch to tell us that they have come across a Greeves, apparently a scrambler, seized with a lot of other stolen vehicles.

The frame number stamping is UO 2987 - which is of course not a proper Greeves frame number - but someone might recognise it.

We haven't seen any pictures of the machine apart from the frame stamping yet so can't really speculate about which model it is.

It is pre '61 though - Peter Smith spotted that it has ball-bearing steering head races.

Ring any bells anyone?
    Colin Sparrow

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
    West Midlands Police have been in touch to tell us that they have come across a Greeves, apparently a scrambler, seized with a lot of other stolen vehicles.

The frame number stamping is UO 2987 - which is of course not a proper Greeves frame number - but someone might recognise it.

We haven't seen any pictures of the machine apart from the frame stamping yet so can't really speculate about which model it is.

It is pre '61 though - Peter Smith spotted that it has ball-bearing steering head races.

Ring any bells anyone?
    I wonder if this could be 60/2987 which is a 25DB that was lasy on bay 4/08 OK the police say its a 'scrambler' but could be cut down as a field bike.

Comment

I have pics, but a machine failure means I'm working on an iPad . It is red, has a trials front tyre but has the mono bloc carb and a finned front hub. It also has an up style exhaust with possibly an early style expansion chamber. The engine number is probably from a 9e, being 770B 4840.
      The area of the frame stamping looks to have been ground away and the non greaves font used.

Comment

Looks like it could be this one http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...highlight=2987
        sadly pics have disappeared from eBay listing. But it looks like the same bike as it was red.
        Was last for sale in March 2016 by:
        Graham Hathaway Engineering Ltd
        Graham Hathaway
        Hook Farm Workshops
        Mundon Road
        Maldon
        Essex
        CM9 6PN
        United Kingdom
        Phone:01621 856956
        Email:grahamhathawayracing@btinternet.com
        Attached Files
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 01/06/2018, 10:36 PM.

Comment

I have today made contact with Graham Hathaway. He has long sold the bike so I have suggested that he contacts West Midlands Police with details of the buyer so current legal owner can be trace from there.

Comment

Working...
          X