I though it was all going too well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I though it was all going too well

OK guys and gals, need a bit if help here I think. I rode the bike last week and it all went well other than I had a leaking fork seal. That job done.
    I decided to start the bike and have a little turning practice. ( Engine is a 37A four speed box. It has electronic ignition fitted make Nametab made by Simon Bateman.) Well it would not start but only backfire into the carb. I managed once to get it to run but no power and it was not keen to idle. After that it would not start. But when kicking the bike over and a few back fires I noticed a few puffs of white smoke coming from behind the timing case. So my thinking was/is crankcase seals. I checked the crank sump and removed a small amount of fuel.
    The bike had been stood for 6 years so my thinking of the seals could be well founded. The timing side is ready and cleaned up waiting for the new seals to arrive.
    I then turned to the clutch side, removed the front casing cover and the clutch push rode stud and nut. I fitted the spanner to the cap nut and locked the engine sprocket. The nut took some turning but once turning I thought all was good. But the nut does not come off, it will not unscrew. It just keeps turning. Now looking at the schematic diagram this nut fits onto the sliding sleeve, which in turn fits onto the hub which is also splined. What a dilemma, how do I progress and how can I remove this Cap Nut?
    Is there anything you guys can recommend, is this a fault that you have heard of before? The only way I could see of removing it is grind around the nut and remove it a bit at a time slowly slowly. Then and only then might I be able to move forward. Any advice greatly appreciated. I think the Fantic will be getting an outing this weekend. Which is a shame.
    Ken.
    One Life Live it

Not really sure whats going on there, but take it to your local garage & give one of the lads a drink & he`ll buzz it off with an air gun.

Comment

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
      Not really sure whats going on there, but take it to your local garage & give one of the lads a drink & he`ll buzz it off with an air gun.
      Well Dave you gave me the inspiration with the air gun. Decided to have my dinner and then attacked it with a one big blow of a very heavy hammer.
      It shocked it into submission
      Eureka we have the nut off.
      Ken.
      As a point if interest do you agree with my theory ref the crank seals etc.
      Last edited by Supergrandad; 10/05/2018, 08:07 PM.
      One Life Live it

Comment

Ken, its very hard to diagnose a problem, without it being in front of you, but i will say that, yes, crank seals do go brittle & perish, but i would be more likely to go for the ignition first.
        It sounds like the timing is either eratic or has shifted, ie, the stator has moved or the the pick up coils are not getting a clear signal from the flywheel/rotor.
        A two stroke will always acumilate fuel in the crankcase when being turned over but not starting.
        Back firing into the carb would generally rule out seals, as you have to have crankcase pressure to achieve this, i would check back through your ignition.
        Rust on the pick up coils is a favourite, bad earths on the secondry coil, shorting etc.
        Also, a thing is to check the exhaust is clear, it could be pressure backing up.

Comment

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
          Ken, its very hard to diagnose a problem, without it being in front of you, but i will say that, yes, crank seals do go brittle & perish, but i would be more likely to go for the ignition first.
          It sounds like the timing is either eratic or has shifted, ie, the stator has moved or the the pick up coils are not getting a clear signal from the flywheel/rotor.
          A two stroke will always acumilate fuel in the crankcase when being turned over but not starting.
          Back firing into the carb would generally rule out seals, as you have to have crankcase pressure to achieve this, i would check back through your ignition.
          Rust on the pick up coils is a favourite, bad earths on the secondry coil, shorting etc.
          Also, a thing is to check the exhaust is clear, it could be pressure backing up.
          All noted Dave thanks for the comments. I will work things through.
          Ken.
          One Life Live it

Comment

Well here we go, all done and we have a running motorcycle
            Having taken a big hammer to the bike yesterday(CLUTCH CAP NUT) it had a bit of love and attention today.
            New crank case seals, barrel off and a good clean and ports polished, electric's have had a good clean and timing reset.
            The bike was then put back together with much care and attention and she started first kick. Very pleasing. We now have a running bike again. If I was pushed to say what was the actual problem I think I would have to say crank seals and the timing/electrics.
            So once again Dave good call.
            Villiersservices came up trumps, ordered the parts last night paid for next day delivery and I had them by 10.00 hrs this morning.
            Looking forward to my trial on Sunday again.
            Ken.
            One Life Live it

Comment

Working...
            X