A Hawkstone Hero!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Hawkstone Hero!

I first met Evan Lewis at a Pre65 scramble meeting in Battle, Sussex around 1991. With both of us Greeves mounted, Evan on his Hawkstone, me on my MDS, it wasn't long before we got talking and especailly so after the days racing when we'd competed against one another on several occasions. Although the battles were close fought he beat me in every race. The Hawkstone was his pride and joy. He'd owned it since buying it secondhand in 1961 and had competed on it for a few seasons then, before packing up when the time came. I'm sure you all know what I mean! He'd just got going again after some twenty five years or so. Since then we've enjoyed scores of races against one another with Evan predominantly in front, I think he allowed me the odd success just to keep my spirits up! In recent years the tables have turned a little, some of it due to his seniority, age wise, but mainly because his knees were just about knackered after a lifetime of playing competitive Hockey. His only course of action was to have replacement knee joints, so he sought out a Sports sympathetic Surgeon to enquire of the likelyhood of him continuing riding afterward the ops. The response was positive so he arranged to have both knees replaced during the close season, the first being completed last November and the second in February. Both ops were successful and following months of excercises he finally, and amazingly to my mind, got back in the saddle recently. I've posted three photo's of Evan, one in a relaxed mode tending the BBQ as he does so expertly, especially with a bottle in hand and showing off his new knees. Can you see the join's? The second shows him to just set off for another race at the Marks Tey circuit in July and the third seated with his wife Annette. Evan is now approaching his seventieth year and enjoying his riding too. I was delighted to see him back in the saddle again, and I'll be even more so when he comes flying past at some future event. A true Hawkstone Hero if ever there was one!
    Attached Files

hawkstone Hero

Thanks very much Adrian, you old softie!
    You are a great mate.

Comment

Cheers Ev, but I just told it as it is, all true with no frills. By your actions you'll give hope and inspiration to others who maybe suffering from similar problems to yours.
      It was a story that needed telling, in other circles it would probably have warranted a full page spread in some national newspaper. Who knows, it might even make the Club Mag. You've demonstrated what can be done and that while growing old maybe compulsary, growing up isn't.Vive la Adolescence!

Comment

Working...
      X