X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ouch!!!

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
    Hi Tammy!

Great to see you back, and thanks for your excellent and thoughtful contribution.

I loved your comment about 'let the bike speak to you'-a really nice way to put it and very much after my own heart! (As a ex hippy musician type I'm allowed to say that! )

I reckon the most important thing is to simply enjoy the bike, as you guys so obviously do. For people like us there is great joy in making an old Greeves 'happy' again, and at the end of the day surely that's what it's all about. If it looks right and feels right, it IS right!!!!

I'm so happy to know that your bike is so cherished and cared for. After all, we are not really owners, more stewards acting to preserve and enjoy these fine machines for the benefit of generations to come.

Just as it should be.

'Mr' Greeves would be very proud, I'm sure.

Brian.

PLEASE NOTE; THE ABOVE QUOTE IS A POST IN THE THREAD 'RESTORATION OR PRESERVATION' IN THE 'GENERAL GREEVES CHAT' SUBFORUM. I'VE INCLUDED IT HERE FOR CLARITY, AND TAMMY'S REPLY IN FULL BELOW. AS ONLY THE INITIAL COMMENTS RELATE TO THAT THREAD AND THE REMAINDER IS OFF-TOPIC I'VE MOVED IT HERE IN ORDER TO KEEP THE 'RESTORATION OR PRESERVATION' THREAD ON-TOPIC. BRIAN (MODERATION TEAM.)

Thanks again Brian! I am soo humbled by that!

Its great to see that other people "Listen to their machines"...I know folks here think I am crazy sometimes, but I do hear her! Its like when you gear up for a ride and then climb aboard your bike. For me it doesn't matter if its Eleanor or Red(my Honda 150 CRF) I talk, hear, and feel the voice of the bike, and you know that feeling you get when it's going to be a great ride, then every now and then you sit on her.....and the VIBE just isn't right, those are the days I know things are going to go amuck. If I am on Eleanor, I go extra careful...same with Red, but ole Red bounces back with her plastic parts.

Eleanor and I have had nothing but good vibes and rides lately.

Red, however, and I lost our groove for a few days...resulted in a nasty laceration to my right shin, the kickstart came back and bit me...still have 2 scars there..the ride never even got started...LOL, would hate to see what Eleanors kick back bite would be like, ole Red only has 9:1 compression, Eleanor has about 12 or 13 :1.

Now, we went trail riding this weekend out by where we camp. We hadn't been on these ATV trails before, so we loaded Eleanor, Red, and Daves Honda CRF230....I honestly hadn't been on trails before, just around our property through the woods etc. Have played on flat washed out roads, love the MUD!
    Anyway, to be safe, we took the hondas first...MYMYMY, thought I was a bigshot for doing jumps and sloshing about in the mud...Well the trail was mild at first, then we hit the first steep incline loaded with outjutting rocks, never dawned on me NOT to go up it....I got about 1 mile up, just about 1 bike length before the summit....looked up at Dave and some others on 4 wheelers and took my eye off the trail for one split second....next thing I know, Red did a wheelie, dumped me backwards, I remember my helmet smacking a rock hard, as I began to fade out, I felt my right ankle get yanked inward and then pushed back the other way...noticed Red stalled and knew my boot toe had gotten stuck in the back wheel....Fortunately my foot kept Red from going over the cliff....We got me up, got my gear shift straightened back out...right ankle already swollen to twice it's normal size...dr'd it, and rode the rest of the 5 mile trail....come to find out, it was an expert level trail and where I crashed was called "The Widowmaker"...Nice....BUT I DID IT....It was my turn to have a nice helping of "HUMBLE PIE"..LOL

Got xrays on Mon....broken in 3 places, ligament pulled 3 chunks of bone out of the ankle, when it snapped back the bones, thank goodness, went back into place...but I am in boot and on crutches for the next 8 weeks..

Mind you, I am a nurse...but the swelling is down enough that my foot/ankle fits into my motocross boots (which I wan't wearing at the crash time) Soo, I am going for a ride today! Going to take Eleanor out to stretch her legs...just around our property and down the dry dirt road. Times like this really make the fact that I can't shift and use the footpeg rest at the same time an advantage for me...

Sorry to ramble again...pain meds make me worse!
    SOOO GLAD we didn't take Eleanor out, usually we ride an area first to make sure its safe for her, then take her.

Again, it all depends on the "VIBE" when I climb aboard!

Thanks again, and have a great day!

Tammy aka "Crash"...nickname given me by the neighborhood kids
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 02/08/2010, 12:02 AM.

Ouch!!!

Hi Tammy,

Thanks for the post and story, does sounds painful though....! Hope you're on the mend soon.

However, I felt I had to move it here as most of the post is off-topic in relation to the previous thread ('Restoration Or Preservation'), so I thought it might be better to put it here as a new thread instead. Hope that's ok!

It's important for all of us to try and keep threads 'on-topic' and to start a new thread if we move on to a different subject (i.e. going for a ride, then crashing, etc!), hence the title I've given it! Otherwise things can get a bit 'messy' and it's hard to find posts that you may want to look at and find again in the future.

Please don't think I'm being 'heavy'-far from it, we welcome your posts and thanks for sending them in.

I reckon I'll blame this one on the 'meds', or maybe those 'brain farts'...!!!!

Seriously though, thanks for understanding Tammy, and hope you're out on 'Eleanor' again real soon.

Brian.
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 02/08/2010, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
      Hi Tammy,

Thanks for the post and story, does sounds painful though....! Hope you're on the mend soon.

However, I felt I had to move it here as most of the post is off-topic in relation to the previous thread ('Restoration Or Preservation'), so I thought it might be better to put it here as a new thread instead. Hope that's ok!

It's important for all of us to try and keep threads 'on-topic' and to start a new thread if we move on to a different subject (i.e. going for a ride, then crashing, etc!), hence the title I've given it! Otherwise things can get a bit 'messy' and it's hard to find posts that you may want to look at and find again in the future.

Please don't think I'm being 'heavy'-far from it, we welcome your posts and thanks for sending them in.

I reckon I'll blame this one on the 'meds', or maybe those 'brain farts'...!!!!

Seriously though, thanks for understanding Tammy, and hope you're out on 'Eleanor' again real soon.

Brian.
      NO PROBLEM BRIAN! I am sorry to make you work sooo much, I am truly trying to search for proper topics for my rambelings...thanks for bearing with me, and for all the work you do!

Ankle much better...went all day without boot or crutches, worked on the new rescue...no swelling, so I'm comin along!

Have a great one!
      Tammy

Comment

Re. 'Ouch!!!' etc.

Hiya Tammy!

Thank you for your kind words, I really appreciate you saying that!

Good to hear that you're on the mend, and thanks for being so cool about me moving your posts etc. I'm just trying to keep things 'tidy' on here and easy for everybody to find, as you understand.

You just keep those posts coming, ok!

Brian.
        Last edited by Brian Thompson; 11/08/2010, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X