American Pickers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Pickers

Last night the Pickers visited a man that collected 3 wheelers but didn't realise until they arrived that they were invalid carriages. They bought two and one had a Villiers engine (7E or 8E) it had the early Greeves front suspension that had the loop out front and I wonder if they found out more about it. In a previous program they found a Greeves Scrambler which looked mostly original but they discounted it as a hybrid and were not interested, they also bought a Yamaha TY250 in nice condition for less than 200 dollars. Values in the USA seem to low compared to UK unless its a very rusty Harley. I know of a local business man who has bought a number of bikes from USA at much lower cost than on the home market. Look forward to your comments.

Originally posted by Eddie Smith View Post
    Last night the Pickers visited a man that collected 3 wheelers but didn't realise until they arrived that they were invalid carriages. They bought two and one had a Villiers engine (7E or 8E) it had the early Greeves front suspension that had the loop out front and I wonder if they found out more about it. In a previous program they found a Greeves Scrambler which looked mostly original but they discounted it as a hybrid and were not interested, they also bought a Yamaha TY250 in nice condition for less than 200 dollars. Values in the USA seem to low compared to UK unless its a very rusty Harley. I know of a local business man who has bought a number of bikes from USA at much lower cost than on the home market. Look forward to your comments.
    I watched American Pickers as well. Could have sworn Frank said the engine on that invalid frame was a sach.

Comment

Pickers

I agree but was not sure, but now convinced he said SACHES, its interesting to pick up on these things bearing in mind that nobody gets things right all of the time. I started work in the motor trade in 1956 so like to see these old vehicles. I wonder if you saw a recent one which had a LLOYD van that Mike bought, they were built in Grimsby but cannot recollect ever seeing one. One vehicle I did a lot of miles in had a Saches engine and that was a Messerschmitt three wheeler which was driven by a mate who worked at the same garage.Sorry to say that 191 cc engine was better than anything Villiers made at the time - sorry to digress.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Smith View Post
        I agree but was not sure, but now convinced he said SACHES, its interesting to pick up on these things bearing in mind that nobody gets things right all of the time. I started work in the motor trade in 1956 so like to see these old vehicles. I wonder if you saw a recent one which had a LLOYD van that Mike bought, they were built in Grimsby but cannot recollect ever seeing one. One vehicle I did a lot of miles in had a Saches engine and that was a Messerschmitt three wheeler which was driven by a mate who worked at the same garage.Sorry to say that 191 cc engine was better than anything Villiers made at the time - sorry to digress.
        Here is a pic of a Lloyd LT500. It had a 400 or 500cc 2 stroke engine. Built in Germany. https://www.flickr.com/photos/hugo90...-rDBfVP-rDuv4J

Comment

lloyd cars

John have a look at Wikipedia, when I moved to work in Grimsby in 1966 they were still mentioned as a company but doing other engineering work. Interestingly they used a water cooled Villiers engine in the smallest of the range. It was incredible the number of bikes and cars produced in the Uk between and after the wars.

Comment

Lloyd Cars Ltd

Obviously a different firm bit ironic they were both making micro cars. Here's the link

Comment

Working...
            X