What is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this?

I took the following pics in Sept 2003 of what looks like a 24TCS that was stored on a farm in Cambridgeshire, WER672 is a Cambs reg so would probably have been supplied by Claude Scott or Lee & Coville. But on checking the frame number 60/3270 against the model listing there does not appear to be any TCS with a 60/3*** series frame number. Nearest would be 32DB (starting at 60/2825) or 25DB (starting at 60/2500). Interestingly the forks have the bracing links as fitted to scramblers so may have started off as a 24SCS? The engine number was 32A 863B1199. Any ideas? The bike incidentally was owned by a guy in Ely who said at the time he did not want to sell it. Will be a real barn find for someone in the future no doubt.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 09/09/2017, 06:16 PM.

Great find

Thanks for posting john.

The stabilizer fork links were only ever fitted to one greeves model... The 61 MCS. Which this bike is definately not..

I think your right that it's probably a tcs or a modified road bike with competion forks and paddle fin hubs..

Let's hope it's been saved and not broken up..

Scott

Comment

60/3270 is a 1960 24TCS and that's the original engine.

The paddle front hub was ordered with the bike, also a dual seat.

John's guess on Claude Scott is right.

Wonder where it is now.
      Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 28/03/2016, 10:03 AM.
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
        60/3270 is a 1960 24TCS and that's the original engine.

The paddle front hub was ordered with the bike, also a dual seat.

John's guess on Claude Scott is right.

Wonder where it is now.
        Still with a Mr Underwood in Ely I suspect. Just after I found it on the farm, a local GRA member contacted the owner but Mr Underwood said he did not want to sell it, he apparently used to ride it around the farm as a field bike, it had not been run for some years at the time I saw it but engine was free & turned over. I think it was moved from the farm shortly after I saw it, owner was not too pleased that it had been found
        Apparently the previous owner was a Paul Wright, presumably a local (to Ely) man who may have been original owner.
        Why is the frame number well out of sequence to the normal 24TCS 60/14** series?
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 28/03/2016, 10:28 AM.

Comment

It is not out of sequence, it is just that the number range restarted at 3200 in March 1960. No idea why, it just did and covered a further 70+ machines.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
            It is not out of sequence, it is just that the number range restarted at 3200 in March 1960. No idea why, it just did and covered a further 70+ machines.

Thanks Rob for explanation, can you amend the model listing on the INDENTIFY page to include these?

Comment

Rob, just to clarify. Do you mean 70+ from 3200 or from 3270? I have another TCS listed as 60/3311. There is also 60/3401 that was listed for sale with Andy Tiernan in 11/15 but as a 24SCS & there is also the RCS Hawkstone with frame No 60/3399
              So what was the last numbered TCS? Did Greeves use the 60/3400 series for 24SCS scramblers?

Comment

Working...
              X