DVLA Spelling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVLA Spelling

When I joined the GRA I mentioned I had bought 2 Greeves, a 24TDS 61/ frame number registered late 1960 and a 61/ frame number Roadster single registered late 1960 also. Both these bikes I was assured were still on the DVLA data base but only one came up so we wrote to them and after many months and a few calls received two new V5's, Checked engine numbers and frame numbers and all correct so did a double check on DVLA data base and only the 24TDS came up, just as before. Then after further examination of the V5 It stood out like a sore thumb, Greeves was spelt GREAVES, probably the person who originally dealt with registration was a football fan ( Some of you will remember Jimmy Greaves as a famous footballer who went on to compete in the London / Mexico Rally as a co-driver for Ford)
    After 3 letters and four more phone calls to the DVLA I am now waiting for a V5 with a correct spelling having received 3 V5's in the last 8 weeks all spelt incorrectly. The DVLA have been very pleasant about the whole fiasco so not criticizing them, they could not believe that 3 V5's have been sent to me that are incorrect. So check spelling because once its got on that database it sticks like super glue.

Originally posted by Eddie Smith View Post
    When I joined the GRA I mentioned I had bought 2 Greeves, a 24TDS 61/ frame number registered late 1960 and a 61/ frame number Roadster single registered late 1960 also. Both these bikes I was assured were still on the DVLA data base but only one came up so we wrote to them and after many months and a few calls received two new V5's, Checked engine numbers and frame numbers and all correct so did a double check on DVLA data base and only the 24TDS came up, just as before. Then after further examination of the V5 It stood out like a sore thumb, Greeves was spelt GREAVES, probably the person who originally dealt with registration was a football fan ( Some of you will remember Jimmy Greaves as a famous footballer who went on to compete in the London / Mexico Rally as a co-driver for Ford)
    After 3 letters and four more phone calls to the DVLA I am now waiting for a V5 with a correct spelling having received 3 V5's in the last 8 weeks all spelt incorrectly. The DVLA have been very pleasant about the whole fiasco so not criticizing them, they could not believe that 3 V5's have been sent to me that are incorrect. So check spelling because once its got on that database it sticks like super glue.
    This is quite a widespread problem Eddie, I have come across quite a few GREAVES misspellings & also there are lots more where the model number has been included in the make. ie GREEVES 25DC. If you cant get the DVLA site to come up under GREEVES its as well to check one of the car data check web sites like http://www.cardatachecks.co.uk/ where you only need to put in registration number.
    You are lucky that the DVLA have agreed to correct the spelling, our member Tony Weedon had the same spelling error on the V5c for his East Coaster & was told that he would need get the GRA to either inspect or sign that the spelling was originally incorrect when registered.
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 21/03/2016, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
      Tony Weedon had the same spelling error on the V5c for his East Coaster & was told that he would need get the GRA to either inspect or sign that the spelling was originally incorrect when registered.
      Can't see there would be any problem the GRA providing such a letter.

I mean, I'd take it on if the Committee's happy with that. With a published work on the marque my antecedents must be pretty good, I would hope.

Not treading on your toes John C, I wouldn't get involved in authentication.
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Dvla

Seems a good idea Colin, maybe a standard letter to the DVLA should sort the problem once and for all, but I think it will need to come from John C as he is the clubs registered authenticator.
        I suspect that in most cases this error goes back to the first registration with local councils when the old green/buff logbook was issued, the clerk at the time maybe as Eddie says, had Jimmy Greaves in mind spelt it that way. The DVLA would have just transferred the incorrect spelling to the V5. Hence I suppose why they are reluctant to change it unless with some official authentication.
        I have also come across the same incorrect spelling on other East Coaster's 25DC415B (reg DEB 104C) this bike has been long off the road requiring restoration with a non GRA member in West Cambs, so 'a can of worms' waiting to be opened. Also another spelling variation GRIEVES, also on an East Coaster 25DC459B (reg. No GRD 47D) which was last known with an unknown owner in the Reading area & roadworthy.
        There are no doubt many more bikes out there with misspelt names.
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 22/03/2016, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Dvla

Nice to know I am not on my own, my last call to the DVLA was taken by a young lady who asked me to send a letter directly to her, so lets see what happens. As they say its not over until the fat lady sings so I must be patient and hope she is in good voice.

Comment

East Coaster

My registration document for the Greeves East Coaster is 'spelt Greaves'. When I asked about getting it changed due to their original mistake, as there is no manufacture called Greaves they said I would need a certificate from the club dating officer. It is low on my priority list, but I will sort it one day, particularly if the club produce a free statement that can be used for this purpose.

Comment

I had a small problem with one of my vehicles that seemed to have picked up a strange engine number and size when I changed from V5 to V5C.. They wanted an engineers inspection for the "New Engine". I replied that it is not a new engine, but the original from new, and the system has corrupted it to show something different. I was then asked for a receipt for the engine.....So another letter was sent! Eventually they caved-in and issued the V5C with the right details.

Comment

You're not on your own.
                My V5 came back from the DVLA with the make as a Greeves24TFS
                and the model left as blank. I ask you, just who do they employ these days?
                I ought to make the effort to get it changed, I just haven't summoned up the courage yet.

Sadly the ex Chelsea, Spurs and England footballer Jimmy Greaves is quite ill, having recently had a stroke. Get well soon Jimmy.
                Kind Regards
                The Lad
                Last edited by justalad; 22/03/2016, 06:49 PM.

Comment

The make of my 24TE is shown in the V5C as 'Greeves Scottish24TE'.... it is not even a Scottish, is it, Colin? It hasn't perpetuated an error in the original buff RF60, because I have it, first registered 20-10-1961, stating a 'Greeves' make, Type or model 'TE'. Not quite right, of course, as it should show as 24TE, to differentiate from a 20TE. It does state the engine rating as 250cc; close enough, I suppose, once it has had a couple of rebores.

Should I get it changed? Is it worth the bother?

Comment

Miss Speling!

I couldn't access my Royal Enfield on the DVLA database.
                    I then saw JWs comments about a year ago on misspelling and checked my V5 and its down as ROYALENFIELD yes all one word. Well done DVLA....John P

Comment

be patient

This morning I received a new V5 with all details correct and GREEVES spelt correctly. Its been a difficult time with the DVLA but patience has paid off in the end. My advice to anyone having similar problems is to ring the DVLA, get a contact and send as much detail in writing to that person only, then wait and I am sure you will get a result.

Comment

Working...
                      X