griffon lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• griffon lights

was an american model 380 griffon ever fitted with road lights?
    i have one that i would like to put on the road,speedo drive etc. can anyone help with this or any suggestions. thanks in advance

Cant help with the lighting, but the easiest option for the speedo is to fit one of the cycle speedos, the wired version, as the wireless ones are effected by ignition. These can be bought cheaply from any bike shop or Halfords, or of course on line via eBay.

Comment

The Griffon Enduro came equipped with lights. Not sure how they were powered though...
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Griffon lights

The Griffon Enduro with lights had a larger version of the MX Motoplat fitted. This needs a bigger backplate and cover plus the stator and rotor.
        Best source of supply would probably be Kenny Sykes in the US (bearing man). Very few were fitted to the UK models.

Druid

Comment

griffon lights

i am thinking about putting my 380 on the road , did any american exports have lights or speedos etc any help please.

Comment

You have already asked this question Brian, to which some relevant replies have been given http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...8924#post28924

Comment

Threads merged. Please don't start new threads on the same topic.
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

thanks guys, sorry about the double take.

Comment

Originally posted by brian killick View Post
                  was an american model 380 griffon ever fitted with road lights?
                  i have one that i would like to put on the road,speedo drive etc. can anyone help with this or any suggestions. thanks in advance

Hi Brian,

The 250 and 380 Griffons were imported to the States through Nick Nicholson Motors on the west coast and the east coast distributor Jeckel Industries in New York.

The Griffon used a large size Motoplat with lighting coils. They were fitted with Lucas head and tail lights. The speedo was driven off the rear wheel. They had a horn fitted along with side light reflectors. A special wide ratio gearbox with a very tall fourth gear was standard for fast fire road speeds...up to 90 MPH for the 380 claimed. Special spark arrestor mufflers were used but not USA Forestry approved. Early Enduro's mostly 250's were fitted with Ceriani forks, but most changed over to Metal Profiles...a semi leading axle fork that stretched the wheelbase out to 57 inches! They like to go straight but did not turn very well. I believe 1972 was the only model year they imported, by this time things weren't going so well for Greeves in the USA. As one test publication said..."A bike to tide things over while the British play catch up". They were a solid well built Greeves as usual but needed updating to compete with the Japanese Enduro invasion to the states.

Kenny Sykes
                  USA

Comment

Working...
                  X