No announcement yet.

Zinc plating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem with chrome is that it is porous, which is why rust spots appear from below the chrome, and requires nickel plating to be done first as a protective barrier. A good exhaust will be duplex nickel plated prior to chrome plating.
    I worked for Motad exhausts for a number of years and have seen competitors exhausts that were claimed as duplex nickel but were in fact only single, leading to early rusting problems.
    When Motad were in London, all the system pieces were sent up to Walsall for plating and then shipped back for assembly and boxing. As production increased it was easier to move the production side up to Walsall as setting up a new factory was impossible due to the new regulations on the plating process,existing plants being ok.
    Dogsbody

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
      ......don't know if these are still available, but if you're feeling brave.....

Scroll down to bottom of page on this link;

Brian.
      Hmmm, well spotted Brian! Deep pockets required though, no doubt VAT + postage having to be added to that. Trouble is, the bends are wrong, and the silencer is separate, and clamped to the pipe, unlike the original, which were welded, with a clamped joint in the pipe at the bottom of the curve. It may be cheaper, and certainly as it left the factory, if I can get mine re-chromed.

There was another version on the early TES; same system, but with the different arrangement at the exhaust port end. If anyone has one, do get in touch!

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post
        I had a quote from Chromefix in June, which I have not sorted yet. Email content:

Dear Anthony

Thank you for your enquiry,

We can strip, polish and rechrome the silencers for £145 each

Turnaround is around 4-5 weeks at the moment, If you would like them urgently or sooner please give us a call.

* A lot more than Villiers services at £95.00 for new ones.
        Tony. You need to empty your PM box.... it is full, and won't take any more messages!

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Thanks Ian - I have just done it

Comment

Working...
          X