In the right place at the right time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the right place at the right time

Everyone they say has a 10 minute time in their life when its not exactly a claim to fame but a special moment. In the early sixties I was riding in trials in Lincolnshire, Derbyshire and Leicestershire on a BSA C15T and when not riding at weekends me and the old man would go to any motor sport event. This day we set off to watch the Bemrose Trial in Derbyshire and one of our favorite sections was Hawks Nest. Amongst the top riders were Jeff Smith and Arthur Lampkin both on works BSA C15's. They both attacked the lower sections and cleaned both, then Jeff's chain snapped on the next section. Neither riders had any chain links or splitter, but guess who was wearing his trialmaster suit with pockets bulging with bits. I repaired the chain and sent them on their way, and I believe Jeff went onto win. I got a write up in Motor Cycle News - " A helpful spectator helps BSA win the Bemrose" little did they know my name was Smith, today I might have been on the front page but I remember it as a very special day out. I have another little story from the same place about the late Don Smith and a prototype Greeves, don't wish to bore you but might put it on another day.
    Last edited by Eddie Smith; 15/11/2015, 12:58 PM.

In the right place

Sorry still getting used to the site - think I should have put this story in another section.

Comment

Great story eddie..... you can never have enough tales like that...

Comment

In the right place (The Late Don Smith)

Thanks Dave - will now mention a one off which happened at the same place - Hawks Nest - cant remember the year but the bike I rode might give members a clue. Me and Dad spectating and we always watched everyone through not just the top riders because the lads at the lower end of the field were more akin to me. Riders became fewer and fewer and we were about to leave when we heard a bike approaching. It was Don Smith on a prototype Greeves with Ceriani Forks and an engine version I did not recognize. He spoke to us as he walked the first sections and told us he had permission to follow the trial to test the bike. I mentioned that two lads in our village had bought reconditioned Greeves from him recently and I had a Scottish also. He lit another fag and was in no rush to push on, then the bomb dropped - " Would you like to have a go on the Greeves" no prizes for guessing what the the answer was. I rode it around for a few minutes out of the sections and then he said try the bottom two sections, by this time the Marshalls had gone and I got through the sections with a couple of dabs and returned the bike unscathed. "What do you think of it " he said, my reply was was " its better than mine " he laughed we shook hands and he went up Hawks Nest and out the top with a wave. What a great rider and personality he was and sadly missed. In my opinion he never got the recognition he deserved.

Comment

Working...
        X