Griffon 60M front wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griffon 60M front wheel

Hi, can someone advise me on the size of front wheel which should be fitted to my Griffon. It is fitted with a rusting 21" wheel. Try as I might I am having great difficulty in finding a chrome rim to rebuild onto my front hub. I've had one on order with a well known supplier of classic m/cycle parts for nearly 3 months now and they still cannot get their supplier to produce the goods!! Is 21" an unusual size, is it non standard for the Griffon? Any help/advice would be appreciated. starider
    Last edited by starider; 26/10/2015, 06:34 PM.

Almost all British Trials and scrambles bikes, including Griffons were fitted as standard with a 21" front wheel, usually WM1 width. There were exceptions, bikes supplied to the USA usually had a 19" front wheel.
    John A - 268

Comment

Griffon Front Wheel Rim

If you are still stuck it may be worth giving Hagon Products LTD a ring. They specialize in manufacturing speedway bikes, wheel building & shocks.I have had a 21" Scottish & 21" MDS front wheels rebuilt by them no trouble.They are not local to you 7-Roebuck Road, Hainault Business Park, Hainault, Essex. IG83JH
      0208-502-6222 or 0208-502-6274
      Hope this is of help Peter

Comment

You could also try Doug Richardson Wheel Building of South Molton. He founded the Devon Rim Company (referred to by Marcelle34A) and still has a stock of rims.

John A - 268

Comment

Thanks for your interest and help

Thank you all for the info. I have the wheel on order with Draganfly who have always been great with spares for my Bantam. It's their supplier who is pretty poor.
          I had tried Devon Wheels and found them somewhat unhelpful and expensive.
          I asked if I could take the wheel in to ensure a correct rim could be ordered and they wanted to charge me for the labour involved!!
          As I didn't consider this good customer service, I didn't go further.
          I'll leave the rim on order for a little longer before I explore again.
          When I restored the Bantam the average quote for both wheels re-rimmed in chrome was over 600 pounds, so I had them blasted and powder coated in "silver sparkle" and they look really good[50 quid each] so that is an option.Unless anyone out there has a good chrome/stainless 21" front wheel.

Thanks again starider

Comment

Front wheel for Griffon

Hi, Happy New Year to you all!
            Update on the front wheel for the Griffon, it's with Doug Richardson in South Molton in the queue for a re-build. Had a good chat with Doug and he is re-building with a stainless steel rim and spokes. He is finding that the chrome plating on new rims is of varying quality so now recommends polished stainless.Thanks for recommending Doug!
            My wife and I run a steel band and we are now having some new pans chrome plated by a small firm in Launceston who seem to re-chrome lots of classic car and motor cycle parts.They may be too far away from many of you but the phone number is 01566 777132.
            starider

Comment

Shouldn't Griffon wheel rims be high tensile steel painted silver?

Still, I daresay you can't get them these days.
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Rims

I hope I am in front of you in the queue with Doug Richardson

I think Stainless Rims, particularly Devon Rims are the way forward. I will keep the old rims for any purist but if you ride a lot then it is much better to have the stainless ones. I did watch one of the videos on spray chrome which looks quite interesting but I cannot believe it would last that long, powder coating would.

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post
                  I hope I am in front of you in the queue with Doug Richardson

I think Stainless Rims, particularly Devon Rims are the way forward. I will keep the old rims for any purist but if you ride a lot then it is much better to have the stainless ones. I did watch one of the videos on spray chrome which looks quite interesting but I cannot believe it would last that long, powder coating would.
                  Chrome finish is now available in powder coating https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9XW8zokU8w
                  Last edited by John Wakefield; 03/01/2016, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Rims

I think the griffons had chromed Dunlop rims as standard, or painted hi tensile rims as an optional extra.. ( you cannot plate hi tensile rims as it weakens them )

My 360 had a manky set of hi tensile rimmed wheels on it when I got it, but I had a nice set of Dunlop chrome rims on griffon polished hubs in stock.. So I fitted them to the bike as the cost of rebuilding the original wheels and painting the rims would have cost a fortune....(it's built to ride after all)

Also I didn't like the idea of chipping the paint on the rims changing tyres etc.. I will probably change the rims to alloy eventually

Scott151

Comment

Griffon front wheel

Hi, I don't know if I'm in front of you in the re-building queue, but hopefully I won't have to wait too long as I want to get the Griffon tested ASAP. I don't know if you delivered your wheel to Doug personally, but as he lives fairly near to me,I went over to South Molton with the wheel. What an interesting chap Doug is[and what a lot of wheels awaitng attention].His workshop is fully equiped and there are an amazing amount of wheels and wheel parts around.Still I waited long enough trying to get a rim with no success, so a while longer makes little difference.
                      Ref. the chrome powder coating, I understand from my powder coater that it's a two stage process because a coating of laquer has to be applied. Apparently the whole process is more expensive and can be a bit hit and miss.
                      Doug is fitting a new tyre and tube, so once it's back with me I can slip it in and straight off for an MOT. starider

Comment

I dropped off my Hawkstone hubs with Doug on 10 November last year. He is lacing them up with stainless spokes and aluminium rims. I am hoping to get them back in the middle of this month!
                        John A - 268

Comment

I live near Crediton, so quite close to Doug. As you say, interesting guy with a great workshop.
                          I think my wheels will be ready mid February, worth the wait for quality product and workmanship.

Comment

Front wheel ready to collect!!

Hi, just heard my front wheel with new trials tyre and tube is ready for collection. I'm off to South Moulton tomorrow to collect. Then it's re-fitting to the Griffon, road test and MOT Test.
                            I can then save up for a new tank!!
                            Thanks for all your comments,advice and recommendation of Doug. starider
                            Last edited by starider; 14/02/2016, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Wheel collected!!

Hi,
                              Collected my Griffon front wheel this morning, an excellent re-build. Polished stainless rim and spokes, impossible to tell the difference between the stainless and chrome and of course is virtually rust proof. Why anyone would insist on chrome beats me.
                              I can not recommend Doug highly enough, anyone needing a wheel rebuild should seriously consider using him [be warned though, he is very strict on keeping the queue and at the moment he has a 6+ week turn-over].
                              Anyone still waiting for their Greeves wheel,it should be ready towards the weekend [all being well] starider

Comment

Working...
                              X