No announcement yet.

S/N info and correct saddle for a 20T.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S/N info and correct saddle for a 20T.

Hi guys,
    New to this forum so please excuse anything out of order - you all seem very knowledgeable on the Greeves marque (I guess you would't expect anything else though).
    I have been very fortunate to be able to purchase a 24MDS and a 20T which were restored fully some 20 years ago and wondered if anyone could throw light on their early history?
    The 24MDS is assumed to be 1962 and has the frame number 734, no engine number plate so no number, are there any other likely number locations?
    The 20T is assumed to be 1957 and has frame number 7002T and engine number 9E737B 16150 I am informed that this is bored to 250cc.
    Re the 20T I am unsure that it has the correct saddle and wonder if anyone could advise either way, it just does not look right (pics attached).
    Looking forward to any input.
    Thanks & best regards, Ken Sykes. Doncaster.
    Attached Files

The saddle on the 20T is definitely wrong (looks like a BSA Bantam dual seat) it should have a rubber Dunlop single saddle, http://www.johnbudgenmotorcycles.co.uk/saddles.htm

The seat should look like this pic (note this is an earlier 1956 model with friction dampers) The engine is a 9E bottom end with 250cc 34A barrel. You cant bore a 197cc 9E barrel out to 250. This was a common mod at the time & gave a bit more power.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 20/11/2015, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Hi John,
      Thanks for your response and the link re the 20T saddle and the mods to the 9E motor.
      I think the Dunlop replica saddle looks more like it and would give the "original" look, however I intend to use the 20T for it's original purpose and wonder if I could live with the Dunlop saddle in use!
      What do others use in respect of a more modern single saddle?
      Thanks & regards, Ken.

Comment

Depends on what takes your preference, you could fit a scrambles seat like on the MDS (lots did get fitted with this type of seat) or if not Terry Sewell TDS Motorcycles does an Anglian replica trials seat & although off a later model it would not look out of place on the 20T, he also does a Wassell universal seat http://www.tdsclassicmotorcycles.com...en-uk/d22.html
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 17/10/2015, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Hi Ken, welcome to the GRA and to the forum.

If you write to Peter Smith, whose address is on Page 44 of the current Leading Link, enclosing rubbings of the frame numbers from both bikes and requesting dispatch record information, he will be able to let you know dispatch details and original engine numbers for both bikes. Please also include a stamped addressed envelope.

This service is free of charge to GRA members.

The seat on the Scottish looks dreadful. The original seat was indeed the Dunlop saddle, or the contemporary scrambler seat could be ordered, so either would be correct.

The saddles aren't that uncomfortable, and anyway if you're planning to trial it you won't be sitting down much anyway...
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Thanks.

HI Colin,
            Many thanks for the warm welcome and pointing me in the right direction re S/N's.
            Yep I agree the seat on the 20T is pretty awful and spoils what I think is a good example. You mentioned Scottish in your response so a daft question follows is the 20T classed as a Scottish?
            Re the saddle and getting it right (for me) you suggest the scrambles saddle and ordering one, where do I do that?
            I trialed a James in the 60's and appreciated your comments re standing however my legs & knees in particular ain't what they were 50 years ago.
            Many thanks & best regards, Ken.

Comment

Sorry Ken, I wasn't thinking, the 20T 1954-1957 was simply the "Trials"

The first "Scottish Trials" was the 20TA model of 1958. Your trials bike has a Scottish exhaust, that was what confused me.

I simply meant that a scrambler seat was available to order as a factory option when the bike was new. I personally don't know where to get one these days - but someone will.

Anyone out there have any thoughts? Or one for sale?
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Greeves Scrambler Seats....

Rickman Motorcycles do various seats suitable for Greeves scramblers, including Hawkstone, MDS and several Challenger models....as I've mentioned on here before.

Hit this link and scroll down the page for more info and prices; http://www.rickman-motorcycles.com/parts-and-prices.php

Brian.
                Last edited by Brian Thompson; 12/07/2018, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Thanks.

Hi Brian,
                  Many thanks for the Rickman link re the 20T saddle I will an MDS ordered.
                  I am so glad I joined the GRA and the great response to my 1st thread.
                  Best regards, Ken.

Comment

Additional info etc.....

Hi Ken,

Here's a couple more links to related threads that may also be of help/interest.

Have fun with your Greeves!

Brian.

Comment

Come up trumps again, Brian. Thanks mate!
                      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
                      X