Greeves 'Marque of Distinction' in November TCM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves 'Marque of Distinction' in November TCM

Nice to see two pages exclusively on Greeves in The Classic Motorcycle mag. November edition, which bizarrely arrived on the mat today, 29th September!
    Under their 'Classic Choice' series, all sounded very positive, apart from the scribe saying the Sports Twins weren't as good looking as the singles, with 'clunky styling clues'? Should have gone to Specsavers....
    Ian

Also, in an article on scrambling in 1960, a brilliant full page picture of Dave Bickers in full flight on a Hawkstone, and mention of the Brian Stonebridge Memorial meeting. Lots of exposure for Greeves in TCM this month.

Comment

Greeves article

Just been to read it at my local McColls 'Library' but they still have October edition on the shelves.

Comment

Greeves article

Just read the article in McColls 'library', the 'scribe' is none other than that plonker from Salvage Squad, Jerry Thurston. The guy who is always throwing his toys (tools) around. Frankly not worth spending £4 to buy the mag, just some text to pics from Mortons archive which is about half the content of TCM these days, not a patch on the proper article in OBM a couple of months ago by Pete Kelly
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 02/10/2015, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Call My Bluff....

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
          ....ploker.....
          Hi John,

Haven't read the Greeves article yet, but I did manage to watch an old edition of 'Call My Bluff' and have it on good authority that a Ploker is in fact a device used by medieval game keepers to trap grey squirrels.

The device was placed at the foot of a suitable tree and baited with turnip that had been laced with copious amounts of mead. When the hapless tree rat stepped on the platform forming the base of the device, a lever actuated a snare made from woven grouse feathers.

Brian.

Comment

I wasn't suggesting for everyone to rush out and buy it, for the article itself, as the contents were very lightweight. Nothing there that no doubt every GRA member would be aware of. I meant it is good exposure for Greeves to the not-yet converted.

TCM ain't what it used to be, but there is still some good stuff to be found on there, so I get it on subscription; for the moment, at least. I ditched Real Classic once they sold out to Morton's. OBM is good, I agree.

Comment

Greeves in the press.

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
              I wasn't suggesting for everyone to rush out and buy it, for the article itself, as the contents were very lightweight. Nothing there that no doubt every GRA member would be aware of. I meant it is good exposure for Greeves to the not-yet converted.
              Exactly as I read your original post Ian, and re your later comment, surely a good thing. As the old saying goes...any publicity is good publicity....I recall that infamous Frank Melling article on the DCX back in the day, possibly one of the worst write ups on a Greeves ever published, but boy did it get people talking....and still does, now and then....

At least articles and features like this keep the Greeves name out there, and as a 'Marque Of Distinction' no less. In that way, surely it should be encouraged. Good for you for flagging it up, because others may find it of interest.

Brian.

Comment

Yes I will do the same as John, and have a peruse of the magazine, i agree on the comments about the man in question, but as twanger has said publicity to aid people in the Greeves direction cant be that bad, bring it on

Comment

I haven't watched salvage squad, and didn't take any notice of who wrote the article. Now you mention him, he has a page of comment of his own each month in TCM, and you are right, he is a tw#t! Ever since I read his first diatribe, which was a load of horse sh#t, I wondered who this ploker (lol) is, and why Morton's feel they should give him a page every month.

Notwithstanding, my original thoughts apply, that it is good publicity for Greeves, and there was nothing too contentious in his article, apart from the wierd comment that the sports twins don't look as good as the singles... wtf??

Comment

Ian, worth watching Salvage Squad next time it comes on Quest (channel 37) or you can see most episodes on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb3NyEHoUXo
                    Its quite a good programme (apart from Thurston) the woman Claire Barrett knows her stuff, I think she is (or was) the curator at London Museum of Water & Steam, Kew. OK its a reality programme and most of the work is done by professionals. Thurston is the 'fall guy' the rest of the team take the p**s out of him when gets into a tantrum when using a lathe or milling machine "damm damm I have turned one thou too much off the shaft, its scrap, bugger bugger" is his usual speel, usually ending up throwing the part across the workshop.

Comment

I will have a look out for it John, now I know. He sounds a bit like that Henry Cole in the Motorbike Show, although he is at least pleasant enough, if not incompetent! When I was racing MZ's he and his mate came to Oulton Park with the camera crew to a Bemsee meeting we were racing at a couple of years back, in order to ride one of the club bikes, get some practice, and actually enter a race. He was so unbelievably slow, and afraid to lean over in corners, we wondered how on earth he could have been riding bikes for so long! He came a resounding last, lapped by everybody else in the race, some more than once! The show did go out. Next show he was trying to race an MX bike, and in short order, fell off and broke his collar bone....

I don't know where they find these people!

Comment

Henry Cole as you say another plonker who apart from the Motorcycle Show also fronts Shed and Buried another Quest reality show.

Comment

My moment of fame, I was at Kempton auto jumble when he sold the Daytona, a quick couple of shots of me trying to look interested. I will be signing autographs as required

Comment

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
                            I haven't watched salvage squad, and didn't take any notice of who wrote the article. Now you mention him, he has a page of comment of his own each month in TCM, and you are right, he is a tw#t! Ever since I read his first diatribe, which was a load of horse sh#t, I wondered who this ploker (lol) is, and why Morton's feel they should give him a page every month.

Notwithstanding, my original thoughts apply, that it is good publicity for Greeves, and there was nothing too contentious in his article, apart from the wierd comment that the sports twins don't look as good as the singles... wtf??
                            !!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The Jerry Thurston item can only be described as superficial. I could easily have done something better.

The Richard Rosenthal article on scrambling in 1960 is much better and has some decent period shots. Only trouble is (and without having a go at Richard whose writing I respect), it's all regurgitated stuff.

I do wonder if perhaps the old bike press is running out of things to write about.

Still, this time they got my £4.20! Oh well...
                              Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 15/10/2015, 12:31 PM.
                              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
                              X