Famous Greeves riders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Famous Greeves riders

Hi, Thinking back to the 60s when, as a member of The Peterborough Motorcycle Club, I was part of the events organising team, one of my heroes was the great Greeves Scrambler, Brian Stonebridge, who at the time was unassailable and a joy to watch. He would almost certainly have become one of this countries greatest riders, had he not been killed in a road accident. starider

At the time of his unfortunate death in a road accident in October 1959, Brian Stonebridge already was one of our top riders and had been for several years. He would probably have won the 1959 Coupe D'Europe if he had not been injured in the Dutch round. As it was he finished second to Rolf Tibblin.

A significant figure in the emergence of Greeves as a credible and recognised marque, his loss, aged just 31, will forever be a key "what might have been" in the Greeves story.
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Brian Stonebridge.

Well said Colin.

I would add that he was surely one of the best development riders of his day as well.

I think the loss felt amongst the motorcycling fraternity at the time was borne out by the numbers who attended his Memorial Scramble (see attached pic), and never mind the size of the crowd at Brands when Carl Fogerty was at his peak in WSB.....

As you say Colin...'oh what might have been......'

BGS was, and still is to many, simply a legend.

Brian.

There are many references and pics dotted all over the forum about BGS, but here's a few links to previous threads for those that may not have seen them before;

Brian Stonebridge Memorial Scramble Footage.

Brian Stonebridge Pics.

Brian Stonebridge - 'First Superstar Of British Moto Cross' Article.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Brian Thompson; 02/07/2015, 03:18 PM. Reason: Links attached.

Comment

Working...
      X