THREE GRIFFON's STOLEN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THREE GRIFFON's STOLEN

Talking to Terry Sewell today - and he gave me the really bad news that ALL THREE of Graeme and Gary Smith's Griffons have been stolen form their garage in the Basildon area.......- yes that is GAry our Grevves and GRA Champion - including his winning bike........and the one that on Sunday at Sproxton they generously lent to John Bathgate ...........

Unbelievable - they will be gutted - ...I am sure that the Greeves Championship riders and GRA members will rally round and assist here.............so for JW and the other keen ebay watchers and all members can you keep a look out - they are all 380's QUB's - one with a black GRP tank and Ceriani's and two silver tanks with Banana forks ...and they all have MAico pistons and rod's as well - so they are easily spotted

Let me know any information
    Cheers Kim

Originally posted by Kim275 View Post
    Talking to Terry Sewell today - and he gave me the really bad news that ALL THREE of Graeme and Gary Smith's Griffons have been stolen form their garage in the Basildon area.......- yes that is GAry our Grevves and GRA Champion - including his winning bike........and the one that on Sunday at Sproxton they generously lent to John Bathgate ...........

Unbelievable - they will be gutted - ...I am sure that the Greeves Championship riders and GRA members will rally round and assist here.............so for JW and the other keen ebay watchers and all members can you keep a look out - they are all 380's QUB's - one with a black GRP tank and Ceriani's and two silver tanks with Banana forks ...and they all have MAico pistons and rod's as well - so they are easily spotted

Cheers Kim
    Totally gutted for Gary!
    I'm hoping it was just some local kids who dump them when they realise they can't start them. Everyone in the Greeves series knows these bikes, so there's no chance they would be sold complete. It would be good to know engine/frame numbers just in case they are split.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Comment

I don`t know the owners or the bikes, but it does seem strange that the thiefs/scumbags seem to know where the bikes are, almost like they are attending a scramble & following riders home.
      Soul destroying news & i hope the greeves lads do pull round to help these guy`s out....

Comment

Saw this on a pre 65 motocross page on facebook earlier. have shared it to spread the word. Hope they turn up.

Comment

I'll repeat on here that which I have posted on Facebook in that if we circulate the VINs/frame numbers/engine numbers, they will be too hot to handle. We did a similar exercise last year when 2 Classic Trials bikes were stolen, and they were recovered after being dumped.

Comment

Originally posted by Kim275 View Post

Cheers Kim
            Bad news indeed, I will keep an eye on eBay but I would think an appearance there is unlikely as it would inevitably result to the thieves being caught & a lot of work stripping and disguising parts. More likely stolen by a professional gang to order & will (like a lot of other stolen goods) be shipped out abroad in containers. Why someone would want Greeves motorcycles that although have a high personal value to the owner, would not fetch that much on the black market compared with the normal trade in 'exotic' cars.

Comment

Three Griffons stolen

I think this is terrible thing to happen , i cant see how our old bikes will be able to be sold on, considering how many are still about and these are only used in pre 70 events, or kept for shows.

Is there a demand from abroad that anyone knows about, but not like newer MX machines where it is commonly happening, as we know e bay, or any that are for sale need to be checked, and frame numbers must be shown if not bells should ring loudly.

Hope this will be sorted quickly and they turn up.

Comment

The almost unthinkable is that someone in the off-road fraternity wants them for spares. This wasn't unknown in the road race scene even to the point the ACU wouldn't allow bikes or engines without serial numbers. Dogsbody

Comment

Unthinkable 2

Next to the remark by Dogsbody, is the thought that these bikes have been stolen, or handled by a club member!!

Comment

Fairly simple to impose a rule: No engine & frame numbers = No race!

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Hyde View Post
                      Next to the remark by Dogsbody, is the thought that these bikes have been stolen, or handled by a club member!!
                      Prehaps not a thought shared by most of the members though....thank goodness........

Comment

Griffons recovered

Looks like they have been recovered according to this posting on the IKBA web site

Stolen Greeves - recovered!

Posted by Dave25 [User Info] on June 5, 2015, 1:45 pm

A few weeks ago I posted on here about three Greeves QUB Griffons that had been stolen from a garage near Basildon, Essex.
                        I've heard that they have been recovered. I don't know any details, but I'm glad that they're back with the rightful owner.

Dave
                        Last edited by John Wakefield; 05/06/2015, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Yes, this was plastered on the relevant Facebook pages and the bikes were returned and repaired last week. Some good use of Facebook!

Comment

Working...
                          X