Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork geometry.

Hi,
    I've read the books and searched the forums but the question remains:- are the fork H tubes on 1960 type Hawkstones/TE's identical and only the top "yokes" are turned differently to give different trail. This is on the taper roller headstock type frames. I can't quite see how this could be as it seems the bottom "yoke" would be at a wrong angle for the headstock bolt.
    I came across this quote in another post from 24/06/2010 but can't figure it out.

"Both pairs have steering head bearings that steepen the angle of the fork tubes."

fork tube H

Went down a similar route a few years back. You need to know what you have, and not what you think you have. Ask Rob if he can help with the assembly drawing for the particular M model numbers.

Comment

Thanks for that, it's really just for interest as I've seen a few references to the top "yokes" recently and scramblers for sale having been "converted" for trials. We were sitting looking at the Hawkstone the other day (correct scrambler forks trail) alongside a friends TE (correct trials forks trail) and wondering!.
      Just turning the top yoke around would move the top of the fork legs about an inch, how would the taper bearings cope?. Hence my quote from 2010 on the bearings.

P.S. While writing this it occurs to me that as these bikes have no steering stem as such to locate the bearings, a slightly agricultural misalignment of the bolt is of no consequence?.
      Thanks again,
      George.

Comment

Working...
      X