Mystery rider at L Stevens shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery rider at L Stevens shop

Remember this pic taken outside L Stevens shop (sorry cant find original thread)

Well the mystery has been solved via OBM. It is actor Richard Wyler, identified by several readers including auto jumbler John Harding. Richard Wylers
    real name was Richard Stapley,
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 02/04/2015, 09:21 PM.

Mystery rider indentified......

Hi John,

Am I right in thinking that you correctly identified the rider as Richard Wyler on the original thread then, when it was first posted on here?

Brian.

Comment

Yes I did, obviously in his younger days, we have still not established what the bike was.

Comment

I thought so John....well spotted indeed!

Brian.

Comment

Thats right brian, i remember colin clearly saying that is was not rw, but as the thread was started by a certain member who seems to have deleted most of his threads...its gone.......so well spotted john.........
          Last edited by dave higgins; 03/04/2015, 11:48 AM.

Comment

There is obviously more info to come out, why was Wyler posing with the bike? it was obviously some time before his ride accross Europe with Joe Dunphy.
            Why did the bike a 25DB or 32DB have deep valanced mudguards & a substantial pannier rack. Sad that this info was not recorded on the back of photo or in Greeves archives.
            According to OBM Richard Wyler, (real name Richard Stapley), opened a coffee bar in Steatham London, & also had his own despatch rider company (so that may be the connection with the pic maybe taking delivery of the bike for his DR company). He went on to become The Man From Interpol in the 1960's & did some amateur racing. He was born in 1923 in Essex & died in Palm Springs, California in 2010.
            If pic was taken in 1960 (the last year of the DB twins) he would have been 37.
            Last edited by John Wakefield; 03/04/2015, 12:05 PM. Reason: More added about Wyler

Comment

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
              Thats right brian, i remember colin clearly saying that is was not rw, but as the thread was started by a certain member who seems to have deleted most of his threads...its gone.......so well spotted john.........
              I'm still not convinced...
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

I thought this may be of interest , Richard Wyler riding at Thruxton ,may of been seen before. http://www.britishpathe.com/video/racing-film-star
                Simon

Comment

Originally posted by trialrider17 View Post
                  I thought this may be of interest , Richard Wyler riding at Thruxton ,may of been seen before. http://www.britishpathe.com/video/racing-film-star
                  Simon
                  You can definitely see a likeness in that film to the one outside L Stevens shop, & he was a prolific smoker. It would have been taken in Wyler's younger days, maybe before he became famous as an actor, when he was running a courier company. That bike definitely has mods to suit that purpose.

Comment

British Pathe Archive Films.

Originally posted by trialrider17 View Post
                    Simon
                    It has Simon...see seventh film in listing, here; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...hread.php?t=32

It took three and a half months of research, on and off, and I waded through over 900 pages of the Britsh Pathe archive to find those films....

I posted that thread back in 2010 just after we launched the forum, as I wanted people to have something special to see when they visited for the first time. There wasn't much on it back then, nothing like what there is now....

Brian.
                    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 05/04/2015, 09:50 AM. Reason: Link added.

Comment

A friend of mine bought a E-type from the States that had been fitted with a big American V8 and was built and owned by Richard Wyler. Subsequently sold to be re-united with a 4.2 Jag engine. So he was still involved with motors after his film career seems to have ended in the 70s. Dogsbody

Comment

Brian you come up with the goods every time. Its the first time I have seen that thread loads of great little films.All the best for Wednesday
                        Simon

Comment

The 25DB

Getting back to the pic I wonder if its possible to identify the bike from the 25DB dispatch records, to see if one went to L Stevens between 1959 & 1961. Maybe there would be a comment against the entry ie valanced mudguards & pannier frames fitted.

Comment

Working...
                          X